How easy would it be to move this recess in the wall down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I moved into my new house which had this fake wall, with a gap to hang a TV. I got a 55" TV which is the only size which would fit - although there is a gap at the bottom so the cabling is visible and I also think it may be too high for us. My eyes are just above the bottom border of the TV so I constantly feel like my head is tilted up.

I've only had the TV for one day - installed by John Lewis - so maybe I just need to get used to it?

I'm useless with anything like this, but how big a task is it to get the hole moved down? It seems a lot of work to me. However, the fact it doesn't really fit nicely in the gap is annoying me, particularly with the cables being on show.

IMG_20210603_173546.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If its a stud wall then it's just a case of cutting the new hole, moving or installing the noggins to the new positions and replacing the boarding and having the plasterwork made good,

Its a poor job that there wasn't a channel fitted for the cables when the original job was done it wouldn't of been much more work.

If its a stud wall then it's just a case of cutting the new hole, moving or installing the noggins to the new positions and replacing the boarding and having the plasterwork made good,

Its a poor job that there wasn't a channel fitted for the cables when the original job was done it wouldn't of been much more work.

Hey,

There is a channel actually. It's just the space was set up at a time when TV's were slightly different sizes due to bezels and things.

So I had the option of lowering it to the very bottom, or going mid way up. I stupidly chose midway and now regret it as the cables are very visible and it also feels too high. I can get the installers back I believe.

Someone I know said to fit some wood there and paint it but I think that may look really obvious as the wall is very nice, neat and straight. To put wood there may just look a bit of a bodged job

wuires.png

I see it now but I'd of still installed so the cables cam out near the sockets so that they were always hidden no matter where tv is, you'd of needed longer cables but there not that expensive.

You could add a piece of wood and fix plasterboard and an edge bead to it then just carefully skim it with readymix to blend it in then paint.

The best method would be to cut it out and rework it but that's also the messiest way.

Sponsored Links
Tv should have its centre just above eye level, the cable arrangements should have been contained behind the screen centre. Seems a pretty pointless arrangement.

Stick some books under the sofa to raise it up.

Rather than timber, I would be inclined to use strips of plasterboard glued together with angle beading on the corner (if you want to make the gaps smaller).

Get a bigger TV, it doesn't really need to fit in the hole, the bracket and sockets etc can, with the TV flat on the wall over the hole - they're a lot thinner these days.

Yea, I'd lower it down, as mentioned the centre of the TV should be about eye level when sat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back