How far can you reasonably bend a 2"x2" ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to screw a nice bit of planed 2"x2" to the wall which is going to be a visible top edge for hiding a gas pipe. However, I've noticed my wall is not straight!!!

The timber is 7'6" long and 2"x2" size, and when I put the timber against the wall I see that its about 1/2" away from the wall in the middle. I can push it about 1/4" closer with my bear hands, so I believe a few good screws will force it against the wall. The wall behind is an exterior cavity wall constructed in the '80s so likely to be breeze blocks and plaster internally.

Should I file the ends of the 2"x2" to reduce the degree of bend required, or can I just force it to bend with some strong screws? If so, what size screws and rawl plugs would be recommended?

Sponsored Links
I'd have thought that seven 80x5mm screws into red plugs would do it...

As you say, you could always scribe and plane it, if it won't bend enough. This would always be the smartest way to do it but you need a good sharp plane and some time to get it right.

If you are boxing in then 2x2 not required, if you want it vertical just pack middle.

Sponsored Links
if your boxing in the pipe then all you need to do is fix a batton to the wall and 1 to the ceiling and then using 12mm mdf scribe the mdf to the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back