How good is 'Satinwood' paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've always been an undercoat 'n gloss type of guy, but I suppose times move on.

I have some new glazed doors to paint, as well as skirting boards, architraves etc, so was thinking about water-based undercoat and gloss (white)

I was in Wlko and see this plan of action, using their own brand paint may take up to 3 coats, so that idea 'is out the window'.

They had Dulux Satinwood 2.5 litre tins, for £20, down from £26 .. both their 'conventional' Once paint and Quick dry.

Which one of these is best ?

thank you

Or ... is the undercoat / gloss route a better bet ??

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I did my stairs (steps, stringer, etc.) in it, along with all the architrave and skirting in my front room, hall and kitchen and I really liked working with it. It was on offer at the time and along with the name 'Dulux' that's probably why I went for it. It leaves a subtle, very low sheen. Once I'd de-nibbed and put another coat on the finish was lovely.

The only thing I have noticed is that areas which don't get much sun have started to go slightly yellow. I painted it between 2017 and 2018 so it's not particularly old.

I've since started using the 'No Nonsense' stuff from Screwfix and really like that, too.

I always used to use gloss but have been using satinwood for the last few years. I like it. Easy to put on, doesn't smell and dries pretty quickly.

It was on offer at the time and along with the name 'Dulux' that's probably why I went for it. It leaves a subtle, very low sheen. Once I'd de-nibbed and put another coat on the finish was lovely.
Did you use the oil-based 'Once' paint, or the quick drying water-based paint ?

Sponsored Links
Did you use the oil-based 'Once' paint, or the quick drying water-based paint ?

I used the oil-based paint, with two coats. My only criticism is that it's gloopy and a bit less easy to work with. I prefer the water-based paints even if a bit thinner -- they flow more easily.

Satinwood rocks! One coat is usually enough but two can be used in hard wearing areas for extra protection. I love the stuff. It doesn't stink up the place, easy to wipe clean, easy to clean the brush. Bless the cotton socks of the clever elves who came up with this stuff, say i.

Oil is better but it yellows. So, it is worst. For sun flooded exterior, oil is best. I have long life oil that kept going for 10+ years with no sign of failing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back