How heavy is MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could anyone tell me the weight of MDF sheets
2440 x 1220 x9 mm and 2440 x 1220 x 12 mm. Thanks

Sponsored Links
those appear to be hardwood based MDF, isn't the stuff over here from softwood pulp?

Sponsored Links
I'm not good at sums :oops:

but I think that means a 2400x1200x18mm would be about 41kg

that seems fair.

The trouble with the internet is that very little information here is checked, just endlessly copied and pasted.

So, since I needed to to find out the weight of some MDF myself, I have resorted to doing some calcs myself, viz:

I have a small piece of 18mm MDF, bought yesterday from Selco's (so presumably fairly dry).

It's dimensions are 368mm x 225mm (x18mm)
This is therefore 82,800 mm2 or .0828m2

It weighs 954g, according to my digital kitchen scales or 0.954kg

Therefore, 0.954/.0828 = 11.522kg m2

So by my reckoning, an 8x4 sheet of 18mm MDF (2440mm x 1220mm) which is 2.9768m2 will weight apx. 34.30kg

Does anyone else care to check their material -it'd be good to get to the bottom of this?

From past experience of buying medite, etc in packs I'd say circa 50kg for 18mm 8 x 4ft sheets as a rough rule of thumb. That's based on the fact that our merchants used to deliver 20 to 24 sheets as a "1 tonne pack"v in the 18mm stuff. Caber appears to be somewhat heavier as it uses more hardwood, or so I'm told

So by my reckoning, an 8x4 sheet of 18mm MDF (2440mm x 1220mm) which is 2.9768m2 will weight apx. 34.30kg

From past experience of buying medite, etc in packs I'd say circa 50kg for 18mm 8 x 4ft sheets as a rough rule of thumb.

From the data sheet

In sheet form, MDF can present a manual handling risk due to its physical dimensions and weight. Good lifting
practice should be followed.
Note: A 2440 mm by 1220 mm (8’ x 4’) sheet of 18 mm (3/4”) standard MDF weighs approximately 40 kg (88 lbs).

Caber appears to be somewhat heavier as it uses more hardwood, or so I'm told
I think you will find its to do with the density.Its all softwood now and certified through the FSC as coming from sustainable sources.

OOI I just hoisted a 2440x600 18mm spuce construction ply flooring panel onto the scales, it weighs 10kg approx. It is easier to carry into the loft than flooring chip of the same size so I guess the chip is heavier.

So I suppose a 2440x1220 ply would weigh about 20kg.

I think the hardwood-faced WBP is heavier, it certainly seems it when carrying upstairs.

Just had 9 sheets of Medite MR MDF delivered in various thicknesses, dividing the total weight by total thickness gives 2.34kg/mm thickness so about 42kg for an 18mm8x4. None of your lightweight fluffy stuff for me ;)

J

MR MDF is, generally speaking, denser than standard MDF. Medite "Premier" standard MDF is actually half way between lightweight and full density. I posted a bit of an explanation a few weeks ago, nothing changed since then.

You will find it harder and harder to find technical information from manufacturers that produce MDF - basically as the years go by they take density out of the board and they don't really want to should about it as a lower density board generally speaking means the board doesnt perform as well as denser board.

The vast majority of UK based MDF will be made from softwood, lots of the board from the spanish (Finsa etc) mills will be made of a more "waxier" softwood as found in their locality, giving the board a slightly darker appearance as a rule and some people find this harder to achieve a finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back