How Hot Should My Propane Torch Be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a Bernzomatic TS7000 gas soldering torch with propane. When I use it for end-feed solder joints, should I have the gas turned right up, or 'cook' the joint more slowly by having the gas turned down a bit.

I would be interested to hear what the pros do, to help make my joints more successful. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Depends what size your pipe is for one thing. Use the minimum amount of heat to get the solder to melt. The flame temperature is more than high enough.

Thanks Oilman. So what you're saying is not to use the gas control on full?
Its better to slowly heat the joint, rather than blitzing it?

The pipe sizes are mainly 15mm and 22mm.

You can have the flame on low or high for as long as you like but the solder will only melt when the temp reaches 330 degrees approx. ;)

15 secs (approx) works ok for me. :D

Sponsored Links
Practice, practice, practice.

You will know when your right.

Heat the joint and keep dabbing the solder, as soon as it starts to go remove the heat. It'll come ;)

Was taught that if you couldn't hear someone speaking to you from a few feet away, the torch was on too high ;)

Do you know, I completely missed the irony there clf. What a silly billy!

Will need a flame thrower turned right up if I want to drown out 'er indoors talking (nagging!) :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back