How important is radiator location in a room?

Sponsored Links
Cant argue with that. (Im sure some will try though) thanks dan :D

Sponsored Links
the idea of putting rads under the window is an old one. With draughty old single glazed windows there, the heat loss is highest, so the maximum heat goes straight outside to warm the sky. .
is that bol locks then?

If energy was free you might not mind. .
and that?

It also prevents you having long curtains. .
and that?

Modern glazing and curtains mean that the cold area next to the window is not such a problem for comfort now,

and that?

but it is still the worst place for energy loss. .

and that?

A rad on an internal wall is better for comfort throughout the room.
or is it just that bit you object to? after you've tipped a vast amount of energy out to warm the birds?

20131124_185317_Applecroft_zpsb22f7239.jpg

As a sum of its parts your post was indeed boolax.

But especially "A rad on an internal wall is better for comfort throughout the room" as depicted by the picture from a book written by a chap that knows more about these things than you do.

Now.... how many heating systems have you designed and installed?

so you shrivel away at the other five points.

no need to apologise, lad.

No, it was just a load of waffling crap.

Point one wrong (see drawing).

Point 2 irrelevant.

Point 3 not necessarily correct.

Point 4 not necessarily correct (see drawing - and my comment based on the fact that my son's room does not have a rad under the window.

Point 5 wrong. Heat loss is not the issue. Warming the fricking room is.

Point 6 the most incorrect of all (see drawing).

How many installs John? Don't be shy.

How many John?

Heatloss from the room is going to be the same regardless. The rad under the window will heat the cool air coming off the window reducing the huge swing in temperatures across the room making it more comfortable which is the entire point of central heating.

Look carefully at the picture I most little Johnny. It makes it super clear for you.

Buy seeing as you like to clog up all your joints with PTFE, water circulation is probably an unexpected bonus for you.

Come on. How many systems have you designed and installed?

(Thought i would put it in bold this time as you seem to keep missing the direct question. Again ;). )

Rads under the window also due to save space on the wall to put sofas, side boards, or even beds and bedroom furniture.

Andy

It would be interesting to see a video of a thermal current. One with the rad under a window and one with it installed on a side or back wall.

Natural convection dictates that the rad should go in the coldest part of the room to be most efficient. That's my two penith worth

Havnt you got a thermal camera Dan ;)

Heatloss from he room is going to be the same regardless.
No, heat loss is directly proportional to the temperature difference between the hot and the cold object.

I see your difficulty now, if that is not something you understand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back