How is this Bay Window supporting the floor above?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0995.JPG

I'm renovating a house from 1910 at the moment and I'm trying to figure out if I need to add any additional support to these joists. There is another bay window directly above the bay window you can see in this picture.

It appears as those the joists are sitting directly on the frame of the window and I don't know how the window could be taking this weight. I understand that the the walls either side of the bay window will be taking the bulk of the weight, but the wife wants to put some kind of sofa in the bay window above and she's worried about the weight.

Obviously it's been this way for 100+ years without any additional support, and I'm not keen on forking out for a structural engineer just so she can be happy that her sofa won't fall through the floor from above ;)

Thanks a lot for your help!

P.S. I know there's some rot and brick damage that we will repair

Sponsored Links
Simple andser is that the window frames will be taking some of the load. However, there are a lot of verticals in those windows that are quite substantial so there is quite a bit of strength in the window frames. Furthermore, the floor boards will be bridging a lot of the load into the joists that are sitting on top of the walls.

A sofa isn't actually that heavy anyway.

Unless you plan to replace the windows with UPVC or the window frames themselves are in a bad way, i wouldn't worry about it. Its stood for this long and will probably out live you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back