how large can a single double-glazed window be? pic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Time has come to replace our rusty old crittle windows. One of the windows is a large @ 10ft x 3.5 ft. Currently split into 6 smaller panes. We'd like to refit with a single double-glazed pane of glass. Is this possible? Expensive due to size? cheers, B.

Sponsored Links
I believe with Pilkington you can get toughened glass double glazed units that large, no idea on cost though sorry.

Are you sure you want to do this? You own a charming period house (not listed or in a conservation area, I assume) which looks dead right as it is. A single giant window would look hideous in this setting.

I agree it would a great shame to change the configuration of the window.

It could have a significant detrimental effect on the property value, too.

Sponsored Links
Hi Coolhurst. The size isn't a problem, and it needn't cost an arm and a leg, but you certainly need to be very careful. Windows give a building their character and changes shouldn't be made without a good deal of thought. However, it's your house, and windows can always be replaced again in the future by the purists, so don't let 'tradition' stop your creative juices flowing. If you need help with this one, you can find a solution with a DIY element here: www.supawood.co.uk

I'm sure the limit is 2.5 metres which is about 8 1/2 foot..

You can still get crittal windows, powder coated now and double glazed, you then keep the look of your house and keep warm, jobs a good'un. Well if you want it like that of course....

I buy-in sealed units of up to three metres for my conservatory roofs. The size is not a problem.

Was refering to the above post, I anlso used to build connys and make my own double glazed units, I dealt with Express Toughening in Essex and they didnt do any thing over 2 1/2 metres long. It was a few years ago now mind...

And one big window would look rubbish!

it is just a thought at this moment. Exploring all options. Each to their own I guess... appreciate all your input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back