How leaky is leaky

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
Just replaced a rubbish mixer shower (bristan sonique) with a new mixer bar valve (mira atom). The fitting was a little tricky as there is not much of hot and cold feed pipes coming through the wall. I used compression fittings with SL-X jointing compound join to join the shower bar to 15mm copper pipes.
The problem is there is a miniscule leak from the compression fittings. After 12hrs there is not even a visible drop of water, but if I touch some tissue to the back of the nut holding the compression together there is dampness on the tissue. I'm sure it's not condensation so it must be coming from the compression.
Anyone got any advice on whether I should redo the compression join or not worry about such a small amount of water leaking?
If I redo the join I'll have to reuse the olives as there isn't space to remove them.
I'd appreciate any advice offered. (this was my first compression join attempt!)
cheers

Sponsored Links
You have probably just over compressed the olive a little.

Undo it and wrap a bit of ptfe tape around the olive ( available from merchant or b&q)
Wrap it with the direction the thread runs, re tighten and it should be fine.

Compression fittings require the right amount of tension too much or too little and they will weep

I've been using plumbers mait recently on the oilve, it's brilliant. Leak free every time.

Sometimes ptfe on the oilve doesn't work.

But your right about compression fittings, it's best to tweak them lightly as first and slightly tweak them a bit more if they seap.

Ptfe would sometimes not work if the olive was completely crushed.

Other than that it should be fine, most novices should be able to do this simple task

Sponsored Links
I've been using plumbers mait recently on the oilve, it's brilliant. Leak free every time.

But your right about compression fittings, it's best to tweak them lightly as first and slightly tweak them a bit more if they seap.

Plumbers Mait isn't suitable for use on wholesome water it's oil based and may taint the water. It's used for bedding in sanitary ware etc.

If you really need to remove the offending olive you can buy an olive puller from a plumbers merchant

Well I redid the compression fittings, but the hot feed is still leaking (cold is ok now).

The problem is there is no space behind the nut, so i can't push it back to give access to the olive. therefore i can't get ptfe tape on the olive, and i don't think i could get an olive puller to it either.
I tried again with a ton of LS-X leak sealer in the nut. Hopefully it'll work this time. If not, i'm not sure what to do other than start removing tiles from the wall, cut off the offending olive and nut and then fit a new piece of pipe.

just checked the video on how the monument olive puller works and that should be ok, so i'll go and pick one of those up.

It can be a nuisance, but, take off a length of tape and you should be able to wind it around with patience, even if it crinkles a bit

Lsx might do the trick though, just give it time to set

just checked the video on how the monument olive puller works and that should be ok, so i'll go and pick one of those up.

You should be able to use a junior hacksaw for this, and if their is room for the olive puller you definately have room for the ptfe.

If you have compressed the pipe as well, you will still need ptfe

Plumbers Mait isn't suitable for use on wholesome water it's oil based and may taint the water. It's used for bedding in sanitary ware etc.

i have checked the pot before, becasue i wasnt sure this was the case, there is no mention of this on the pot.

i dont use it on drinking water pipes anyway...

Well, i managed to get the old damaged olive off (the pipe got slightly stretched). I fitted a new olive with plenty of PTFE tape (on the pipe, on the olive, behind the olive and on the male thread), plus i used a fair old amount of LS-X sealant. Did it all up, waited for about 6 hrs, turned the water back on. Still leaking!!! About 1 drop every 10 seconds.
I didn't have time to try again, so left it for a few days dripping into the shower tray. I've been using the shower anyway, and strangely its now stopped leaking.

Do you think this is now safe to seal back into the wall? I don't want it to start leaking again when i can't see it behind the tiles.
Is it common for a joint to leak at first then stop?

This doesn't fill me with confidence, you should only put the ptfe around the olive and then tighten.

I'm of half a mind to jump in my van and drive over to sort it out

:p

Just a thought, but if the olive is knackered (crushed) just check the pipe itself isn't too distorted too. might be viable to replace section of pipe.
btw, just thought i'd mention.. getting a water tight joint isn't about brute force, it's about a precise fit. can't remember off top of head about how many turns to tighten olive round the pipe others will tell you on here.

if you've a STEADY HAND you can CAREFULLY and GENTLY cut a notch in the olive with a small hacksaw but stop before you cut into pipe, the use a flat screwdriver in the slot you made and twist to snap olive.

as for leaving it leaking, you'll end up with a greenish crustation developing round joint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back