Leaking thread couplings, how tight?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a thermostatic shower mixer (in wall). See pic:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/goodproducts101/Dsc00252.jpg

It leaks from the junctions indicated on the picture.

There are threaded reducers that came with the mixer (? to 15mm) and I added a few turns of ptfe before screwing them in (no olive). I tried tightening them up, but the leak just gets worse.

I assume there is some unwritten rule when screwing these things together, like with compression joints (quarter turn past firm).

Given that the reducers are almost all the way in (and still leaking), are they now damaged (like compression fittings), or can they be reused with some more ptfe?

One last question. If I have to disassemble the pipes form the mixer, can the compression fittings & olives be re-used (another quarter turn past tight), or do i have to cut a new section of pipe?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
A few turns of PTFE is not enough. Put on loads! Unfortunatley you will have to completly remove and start again

You could try using loctite 55. Excellent thread sealing product ;)

Sponsored Links
I would undo them and use a jointing compound on them such as jet blue from Plumb Center. Other good makes are available :LOL:

Over tightening can cause more leaks than not tight enough :eek:

I know its just as good Rob, but one of my pet hates is seeing it around the joint afterwards :eek:

gas4you said:
I know its just as good Rob, but one of my pet hates is seeing it around the joint afterwards :eek:

Yeah looks rubbish on brass fittings especially!

UPDATE:

I used loctite 572 in the end (avail from screwfix).

It's a liquid and you just apply it to the male thread, screw in as far as the coupling will go and leave for 24 hrs (on brass). 72 hrs for steel.

Worked a treat.

I did consider loctite 55 cord which is trumpeted by many pro plumbers, but if you look at the pdf on loctites website, they still recommend that you roughen up the male thread prior to applying the cord to stop it being pushed off. You also have to apply the chord in a fashion, and not put too much on or too little.

This had echoes of the ptfe problem for me. So I suck with loctite 572. No need to roughen up the thread and any excess liquid can be wiped off after it's been screwed in.

DIYproof.

Also, I just left the existing 15mm copper olives in situ, and added another quarter turn past firm to seal on reassembly (I think this worked because the original compression joints had not been overtightened).

FiscoKing said:
UPDATE:

I used loctite 572 in the end (avail from screwfix).

It's a liquid and you just apply it to the male thread, screw in as far as the coupling will go and leave for 24 hrs (on brass). 72 hrs for steel.

Worked a treat.

I did consider loctite 55 cord which is trumpeted by many pro plumbers, but if you look at the pdf on loctites website, they still recommend that you roughen up the male thread prior to applying the cord to stop it being pushed off. You also have to apply the chord in a fashion, and not put too much on or too little.

This had echoes of the ptfe problem for me. So I suck with loctite 572. No need to roughen up the thread and any excess liquid can be wiped off after it's been screwed in.

DIYproof.

Also, I just left the existing 15mm copper olives in situ, and added another quarter turn past firm to seal on reassembly (I think this worked because the original compression joints had not been overtightened).

Thats fine using loctite untill you come to needing to undo the joint!!

Rob does what I do.....PTFE every time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back