How level is "level" for a shed base?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have ordered a plastic shed for my garden. The manufacturer makes a big point about how the base for it needs to be level, which of course makes sense.

I hired a local handyman to build a base (paving slabs) and told him I needed it to be level, but when he finished he told me he actually sloped it down a little bit towards the front to "allow water to run off". Although I think what really happened was that the ground was already a bit sloped, so this was easier for him than trying to level it off perfectly. So now it's still fairly level but has a slope of maybe 0.5-1cm per meter.

Is that going to be fine?

I don't mind a bit of slope, but if the shed won't sit properly because of it that's obviously an issue.

Sponsored Links
If it was mine, I would just leave it and level the shed with a baton or something of the appropriate thickness.

the shed needs to be like a cube, with all uprights parallel and the top at right angles. Then the parts will fit together and the doors will shut.

It does not matter if it is like a cube on a slight slope. When you put the top on it will pull the sides and back together.

So if your base is flat, it will not need propping up. Only if one corner is not true with its partners.

If in doubt, use a long measure or a piece of string to check the diagonals across the front doorway. They should be equal. If not, you will have to pack one corner until they are.

By 'level' I would suggest they mean reasonably level, but perfectly flat. The perfectly flat being the essential part.

Sponsored Links
That's a relief, thank you! Some of the articles I was reading made it sound like anything other than a perfect 0° would be a major issue.

a bit of a fall to run the water off is fine. Put your shed to the high edge of the slab, if the slab is bigger, to prevent rain falling on it and running under the shed.

In theory if the base isnt level front to back then the four corner posts cant be upright or the sides would have two obtuse and two acute angles, whether this would be enough to make the side panels difficult to fit would depend on the type of construction I suppose.

the "corner posts" don't need to be perfectly upright.

if the entire structure is slightly tilted, it can still be square on all faces, and the doors will close correctly.

bAVbn.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back