How long after putting up lining paper can you paint it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could someone help me out as I've never put up lining paper before and was wondering how long I have to wait before I can paint it? I'm having my carpets fitted in the next few weeks so I hope it's not too long. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the room is resonably warm you can paint it the next day. couple of days will be better.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but should you use decorators caulk on the seams when hanging lining paper?

Have used lining paper often and have never done anything with the seams, some do show up slightly once painted (down to my amateur wall papering) but have seen decorators use caulk prior to painting

Sponsored Links
If the joints are not tight ie, apart then you can use caulk and smooth it across with a scraper, downside to this is that when the paint s applied it might flash across the caulk because it is a smoother surface than the paper. you could use some polyfilla mixed quite thin and rub that across. this will have a more porus face to match the paer surface and will not show as much.

I didn't trust my wallpapering skills enough to butt join without leaving any overlaps so when I put up 1400 lining paper, I purposely left small gaps of about 1mm which I filled with Gyproc Easyfill (20 minutes) before leaving to dry and sanding flush.
Filled the corners with caulk taking care to leave no "tram lines"!

One coat of Crown, White matt emulsion then finished off with one coat of Dulux Once, Ivory Lace matt which has wonderful covering qualities.

Also warmer than white but quite neutral and not yellow like Sand or Magnolia.......

Once tried Gyproc Easyfill (60 minutes) but I think it stayed wet too long resulting in some lifted seams whereas the 20 minutes drying time left no lifting at all....... make sure you pay close attention to pasting at edges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back