How long after walls plastered should you leave it before...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
you do the following...

We've had our living room sorted. Some walls were boarded (dot+dab onto brick wall) whereas some others were just skimmed. I've not been to the house tonight to check which was which but i'll go ahead & ask....

1)...before you...hang a mirror on the chimney breast?

I'm almost positive this was plasterboarded. I don't know what size mirror the Mrs has in mind for this but at a very rough guess, 3ftx2ft ish.

2)...before you...paint the walls?

I remember reading you should paint them with something (forget what, but it lets the walls breathe still) where the first coat is mixed with water & then the 2nd coat is straight paint. And then some timeframe later you can paint them with decent wall paint.

3)...before you...remove/refit skirting.

Does what it says. A fair bit of the old skirting was ripped out so it's probably going to be best we renew. Don't want to hack at it in case the plaster is still 'soft' & it rips it off.

Also, DO'S & DON'TS?

I remember when we got our stairs done, my mum stuck a dehumidifier in there & the plaster ended up cracking. I've since found that it's agreed this is a bad idea & as such i'm trying to let ours dry naturally.

So any do's & don'ts you can think of?

Finally, how long should it take, roughly, for the walls to dry out proper?

Sponsored Links
4) attach in the curtain pole & blinds.

These will be into a wall that's been plasterboarded.

On the topic of which, would we need special fixers since it's on a plasterboarded wall? If so, what are they?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back