How long do central heating pumps last?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above, I have a Grunfos UPS2 15 50/60 and it’s probably about 6 or 7 years old. Just wondering whether it’s worth buying one now to have handy in case it ever packs up. It does seem to get hot quickly - before the water temperature gets that hot. No noises or anything. Worth changing or just buying one in case it dies? What’s the average life of these things?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
i’ve got the same on my system. first one lasted 25 years. bought a 2nd hand replacement from ebay about 2 years ago for 15 quid + post . all good so far.

They last as long as they last. The UPS2 is now discontinued though, make of that what you will. Pumps don't like to be sat around for years on end doing nothing, they seize up - better to just buy one when you need one

theres dozens on ebay, people still pulling old systems out every day.

Sponsored Links
When my pump seized, it got hot. Perhaps the heat came from the electricity and the the pump wasn't cooled by the passing water. Unseizing was easy when following youtube videos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back