How long do Cylinders last?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a copper (i think) indirect hot water cylinder - its foam clad and wondered how long do they normally last?

As we are replacing our boiler soon we also have a quote to replace the cylinder. Both plumbers that have been have said its not a must do but one recommended if it fits into the budget its better to do it when the boiler is being done and recommended a "quick recovery cylinder"

If the finances are available is it a wise time to replace it or do they normally last years and years?

Sponsored Links
depends on the water quality where you live. Where i am its very hard and its not uncommon to have a leaker after 6 or 7 years, but some will be ok for as long as 20yrs. its very hit and miss, but I suspect in softer water areas you'll get a better run out of them. A high recovery cylinder is certainly a worthwhile upgrade if budget allows, and especially if you have a high hot water usage.

You have not given us the salient information! The colour of the foam.

If its blue or green its the latest design. No real point in changing.

If its buff coloured then the heating coil is likely to be below the currently recommended size. But they will work fine. To replace would reheat faster.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The insulation is part of the regulation. You can put an extra jacket over an old one of course if you want to save ( a little) energy.
The pipes won't be "properly" insulated either.

Look at how far apart the primary pipes are where they enter the boiler, one above the other. If it's only a foot or so you have what we used to call a "Medium Duty" cylinder and their recycling time ( to reheat) is awful.
If they're near the upper and lower ends of the straight part of the cylinder side then you have a BS one. Their rectcling time is short, in practical terms limited by the boiler.

Regs are regs, but imho you'd be wasting your money replacing a BS cylinder. Mine's staying where it is!

Look at how far apart the primary pipes are where they enter the boiler, one above the other.

I am sure yours must be little more than a foot apart on your Netaheat boiler !

It would have qualified for the £400 boiler scrappage!

Cheers for the replies. In answer to some of the questions

The foam round the tank is a mustard yellowy colour
I live is quite a hard water area (south coast)
The connections to the coil in the tank are around a foot apart at the bottom of the tank.

It sounds like if we can afford it, its a sensible upgrade to get the faster recovery one as currently it takes a while to get the water up to temp once its been emptied.

If your existing system is a gravity hot water ( i.e. does not run the pump when heating hot water ) then that will take a long time, usually about 90 minutes!

If that cylinder is kept but connected as a pumped system the the reheat time will be reduced to about 30 minutes.

We usually charge about £460 to replace a cylinder on its own and a bit less when done as part of a boiler change.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back