gas condensing boiler and unvented hot water cylinder

Dan Robinson wrote

I reckon it'll last 19 years

In your dreams. ;)
No servicing means no servicing. Absolute zilch.
You've already serviced the condensate trap , so your test dont stand anyway.

Sponsored Links
Jackie stewart wrote

Anyone have any recommendations as to what we should go for

A nice weee oil boiler (grant preferably) and a wee vented hot water cylinder.
Not sure I can break your 25 year record Jackie , though I suspect you kept your boiler serviced regularly.

the 18 ri is a great little boiler I use range or Oso cylinders

Sponsored Links
have to say all this chat is very surprising. Have lots to look through - hope none of you are leading me up the garden path. As you say the boiler we have now is 25+ years and going strong but know that it is bound to go soon and yes it has been serviced every year. Thanks for all the input only wish I knew what a lot of you were talking about in the technical stakes!!

You have not mentioned the most important factor, how many people are living there.

A simple rule of thumb is 50 li per person of stored water.

I like the Worcester 12Ri, 15Ri and 18Ri simple to fit and reliable so far and very quiet indeed!

Tony

There are just 2 of us now in a 3 bed detached with just 1 bathroom with a power shower which is why we want to go with the unvented cylinder. This should avoid the need for the pump on the shower which is a bit noisy but does give a great shower. Anyone got any views on the unvented cylinder ie one with an external expansion tank v internal and what is the issue with the annode? Have noticed some have one and some don't. As you can guess, have no technical knowledge which is why it is good to get some feedback from those who seem to have some knowledge but no "selling" pressure behind them!!

External expansion vessels are better as they can be replaced if they become faulty. Most of the quality unvented stainless steel cylinders these days do not have a sacrificial anode anymore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back