gas condensing boiler and unvented hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Am about to replace boiler and would welcome recommendations. Current boiler which is 25 years + old is an Ideal Vulcan RS 55 but think a slightly higher rating would be better (think it is 55000 btu). Want a heat only condensing boiler and an unvented indirect hot water cylinder. Am considering the Worcester Greenstar 18RI and the Keston 150L or Santon 150 L cylinder. Anyone have any recommendations as to what we should go for

Sponsored Links
Yippee - someone who hasn't opted automatically for the combi route, you deserve a reply just for that. Have found Santon good value. As for boiler try Buderus R19, quieter and more proven than 18Ri and owned/backed by Worcester-Bosch group anyway.

thanks for this one. Have never heard of Buderus - will have to do a little research, but you think this is a good one to consider. Do you think there is much to pick and choose betwen the range of unvented cylinders on the market and what features should I look to avoid?

I like the Oso UV cylinders - nice and neat. Alpha boilers likewise.

Installed both in my own house to prove just how much i like them!! :D

Sponsored Links
forget any keston of any kind for a start.

the worcester isnt a bad boiler and neither is the buderus.

gas4you will be on soon with his f12 button reply ( :D ) so you had better consider vaillant as well just to keep him happy.

Yes the Alpha regular boilers are a great deal, but it has always been my opinion that the buderus is the best boiler any money can buy. A little larger than the alpha and more expensive.

Dan_Robinson said:
Well my F12 reply if you it:

click here.

Will not spots of most systems.

nice. whats the price? looks suspiciously expensive :LOL:

~2k, but it is installed as if it was a combi.

A quality system boiler, unvented cylinder, all the controls and the labour for plumbing in would proably come to about the same.

With these you just need a G3 registered plumber who knows how to fit combis. I have one at home (looking at it right now as it happens).

Incredibly efficient it is to - my gas bill for two people is £1.63 a day for heating and hot water combined - and we use quite a bit of water.

They have stopped doing the underslung pipe kit, and only do the side kit now, so they are wider than on that page - which needs updating.

Dan_Robinson said:
Well my F12 reply if you it:

click here.

Will not spots of most systems.

My oil boiler and cylinder would knock spots of that heap of junk for reliability.

Almost 9 years and no servicing and lashings of hot water and CH.
Where will your Atmos be in that time. ?
Some landfill site I reckon. :(
Bet U cant beat that. ;)

2 years and lashings and lashings (;)) of hot water... I'm runinng a test to see how long it takes for the boiler to conk out through lack of servicing, but because its a condenser the trap will clog soon. 5 minute job.

What make and model is your bolier and cylinder? It wouldn't be legal now I would wager.

What make and model is your bolier and cylinder?

Grant and ??? (to much insulation on to read the label and I aint ripping it off)

It wouldn't be legal now I would wager.

Yeah, but the new regs are not retrospective I believe ?

I know they're not retrospective, but you couldn't fit it now..

It'll never end up in landfill 'cos its all recyclable and the tank is copper. I reckon it'll last 19 years - I'll keep ya posted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back