Opinions on kit ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Am trying to get centralheating and water sorted for our new place (5 bed semi)

Any opinions on Santon vs. Megaflow water cylinders. Santon seem much cheaper but still have a 25 year guarantee...

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/santon-premierplus-indirect-unvented-hot-water-cylinders/
http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/heatrae-sadia-megaflo-indirect-hot-water-cylinders/

Also I was thinking about boilers....

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/worcester-greenstar-30cdi-system-boiler-natural-gas/

Also, I have had one semi-serious quote so far but the guy has quoted £1330+VAT for a boiler (Vaillant EcoTEC Plus 438) where I could get it myself for £980 +VAT. Is it normal to mark stuff up like this - or am i just better at using the power of Google ???? He did the same for the cylinder as well

ta

steve

Sponsored Links
Santon & Megaflo come off exactly the same production line and use the same high quality stainless steel.

Santon have an external pressure vessel and a slightly smaller 'indirect coil' fitted, so are therefore slightly less efficient and have a slightly longer DHW recovery time.

As for you comments on the quote, I feel this is a all too common post subject, where the OP is always expecting something for nothing.

An installer HAS to mark up the materials cost to enable him to offer a warranty to you, the customer.

Do you question your supermarket on the prices you pay compared to what you believe they buy the products in for? (not my analogy, but one I was told today)

No you just hand over your cash or card at the till :rolleyes:

Exactly ... if something goes wrong within warranty youll be wanting him back out ;)

"An installer HAS to mark up the materials cost to enable him to offer a warranty to you, the customer."

Aye am sure he will just down tools on the job he is doing, come straight to your house and fix your boiler for free including replacing any parts required as part of the £350 "warranty" that he overcharged you for!(and you dont know about).

Thats b******t.

If the boiler is fitted correctly and to the standard that it should have been then surely you should be be told to contact the boiler manufacturer as you will still have manufacturers warranty.

More like greed to me, I dont mind a mark up on parts (I have done it in my trade and understand and accept a markup in parts) afterall we are all out to make a living (and cover the cost of any unseen problems) but that sort of mark up is hard to justify.

This seems to be very common in the heating world which is why there is lots of people tarring the heating trade with the same brush.

im aware that this is not the case for all heating guys but my experience is, "if I cant fleece the customer in overpriced parts (and I mean examples like above) then im not interested in the job."

Is the heating trade that short of profit that this has to be the norm?.

Sponsored Links
Is it ? Says it all then :rolleyes:

Customers are welcome to buy their own gear !!

You obviously dont know the trade ... we aint building a wall or some concrete laying.

a dose of reality.
installer gets a discount and charges rrp to customer, yes its a profit but thats business.
so a guy feels he can buy at trade rates?
he may be able to.
but a warning note should be added, contact the manufacturer and ask them if they will honour a warrantee on product from seller X
serial number Y
the bottom line is the www is rife with criminals foisting stolen gear

where the OP is always expecting something for nothing

a bit harsh - i'm just asking the question as i know nothing about this kind of stuff and £350 seems like a pretty big mark-up to me - esp as they can buy the stuff at trade price anyway - and I just did a quick search on google. Surely the manufacturer warranties the product, the fitter warranties his work? And his day rate should cover this?

but anyway - i'm sure this debate goes on again and again on these forums - ... so the Santon sounds like a sound bet. any views on the Worcester boiler ? Esp compared to the EcoTec

"the bottom line is the www is rife with criminals foisting stolen gear"

Fair point but again irrelavant

Vaillant Eco Tec Plus 438 Heating Boiler
£953.47 Ex VAT
£1,120.33 Including VAT at 17.5%

Is discount heating selling stolen goods?

Sorry if this is concieved as advertisment

Aye am sure he will just down tools on the job he is doing, come straight to your house and fix your boiler for free including replacing any parts required as part of the £350 "warranty" that he overcharged you for!(and you dont know about).

Thats b******t.

If the boiler is fitted correctly and to the standard that it should have been then surely you should be be told to contact the boiler manufacturer as you will still have manufacturers warranty.

More like greed to me,
Raydar you're being silly.
If you have your house rewired and an MK socket falls apart, would you expect the electrician to say "Call MK"?

If the boiler or whatever has a dent in the side when it's delivered, do you expect the installer to say "Call Worcester and I'll come back when the new one's here"?

The job is to supply and fit - there has to be profit on both.

Also, I have had one semi-serious quote so far but the guy has quoted £1330+VAT for a boiler (Vaillant EcoTEC Plus 438) where I could get it myself for £980 +VAT.
I could arrange to install one for you, for the all-inclusive price of one million pounds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back