how long is too long to tile after bal bond sbr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title, lots of info on how soon but can not find any on the opposite, if I bal SBR the whole bathroom 4 walls today and dont finally get around to tiling the last wall say in 5 days time is that ok, or is it best to sbr one wall at a time and tile it 1 hour later.

Sponsored Links
If thats how you intend to proceed then apply one coat of SBR to one wall or the whole room, and allow to dry for 24 hrs. Then repeat the process.
You can wait weeks before tiling if you want.

There's another method of tiling over a second coat of tacky SBR but it could give you difficulties.

Thanks for your reply although It me take me a few days to get around the whole room as I will be tiling inbetween other stuff but from all the stuff I have read most people are asking how soon can they tile and the answer seems to be about an hour later -- yet you are suggesting 24 hours, and then what about the tiling when tacky what problems could I face.

My walls are solid partly original plaster which seems to be a sand and cement with a top coat of finishing plaster, some parts repaired some parts boarded and skimmed with one coat - the white stuff some is painted -- to which I have gone "ferrel" on them with spear and jacksons finest.
All washed down and dust free.

I plan to Bal SBR all at 3:1 and was going to do two coats

Will be using bal rapidfix

How does this sound

24 hrs means its definitely DIY dry but one or two hours drying time will also work.

Trowelling difficulties and ending up working in a mess could result from applying adhesive to a tacky SBR surface for a DIY'er. Some tilers would never use this method.

Providing your background is sound (esp. the skim) then you should be fine.

Sponsored Links
Im used to working in a mess as thats how I usually end up.
From what you say then it seems like I am worrying too much

I have just done a patch test to see how it gos on at 3:1
I chose this as Bal actually recommends 2:1 if using powdered adheasive and 4:1 if tubed
Although I am using powdered and should be 2:1 google tells me that some people have had issues of it pealing off when doing a "tape test"

So I thought 1:3 would be a half way house

My test peice has now had 1 hour to dry and seems prety good at that so im not sure if I should give two coats now

SBR is supposed to be work on within two hours of applying, it will not be completely dry but tacky.
If left for long periods of time the primer will keep it's sealant qualities for life, but may have come contaminated and no longer suitable for the adhesion of tiles, therefore primer should then be reapplied.

Yes I see that makes sense, and along those lines I have started the job and am only SBR one wall at at time and then tiling that, its taking me a while as there are lots of fiddly bits

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back