Do i need a bonding agent between plywood and adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to tile a kitchen and bathroom floor but want to make sure i've got the right equipment and i am doing it the correct way before i begin. I would like the floor to last a long time (10+ years).

My main question is whether or not i need to use a bonding agent/sealant (such as Bal Bond SBR) on top of the plywood?

Existing floor structure; approx 150-200mm timber joists at 300mm centres. Then approx 15-20mm timber floorboards.

On top of this i am fixing 12mm wbp plywood (screwed down into floorboards and joists) perpendicular to the boards. Then flexible floor tile adhesive (kwik flex) which according to the manufacturers specification is suitable for wooden floor. The finish is ceramic floor tiles.

So should i use a bonding agent/ sealant between the wbp ply and the adhesive? And is there anything which i have missed?

Sponsored Links
Does the manufacture of the adhesive recommend that WBP plywood floors are primed prior to using the adhesive. So adhesives don't require the priming of the substrate. But I tend to prime regardless (belt/braces)!

SBR bond is excellent for belt and braces as pretnice says and good practice especially on ply

I prefer to use Tile backing board on floors instead of ply,this is actually made for the job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back