How Long Should I wait for a Boiler Quote?

There's no point in more than 3 quotes,in those quotes you'll have 3 plumbers telling you 3 different boilers are better than the rest,they all tell you how poor the others are.
Personally I agree with simon,anymore than 3 and the guy is a time waster.if he wants like for like quoting that's a different matter but general info gathering at someone elses expense is pointless.

The worst I've had is arriving on site with another 6 firms to
be told,I've got you all here together to save me lots of visits.all of us walked away.

People supplying there own boiler normally forget bits like the flue,the programmer,the filling loop(if it needs one) etc and then either expect you to run round getting the bits or do it themselves and let you wait

Sponsored Links
Also, as someone who is currently gathering estimates from tradesmen for all manner of jobs I need doing, I've had more than 3 people around for each job (electrics, plumbing, building).

If you worked in an office (quite likely) and four people were all given the same task and only one piece of work was ever used, would you class that as a waste of time?

Would you accept a task (eg: driving to a job, spending an hour, then driving home, spending another hour and a 1st class stamp) where you have odds of less than 25% of getting paid?

Perhaps you understand why those of us lucky enough to well respected in our field simply aren't interested in wasting our time on odds of less than 33%. Who, in their right mind, would be?

I'm afraid you would fall into the 'messer' category. From your post, you are going to waste at least 9 tradespeople's time, the costs of which will all be borne by their other customers over the next 12 months.

But don't worry, because the trades you choose will also have wasted their time quoting on similar odds elsewhere and will be looking to recoup their losses by fitting imported radiator valves and the cheapest controls on your job.

Everyone pays for this behaviour and it's irresponsible.

Also, as someone who is currently gathering estimates from tradesmen for all manner of jobs I need doing, I've had more than 3 people around for each job (electrics, plumbing, building).

If you worked in an office (quite likely) and four people were all given the same task and only one piece of work was ever used, would you class that as a waste of time?
Firstly, I don't know why you think you have the right to make assumptions on how I make my living.... Secondly, your analogy is totally flawed... We are not talking about tasking 4 people from the same company with the same job... We are talking about a customer getting 3 -4 estimates from 3 - 4 different organizations.

When dealing with any kind of service, you will inevitably be faced with people in whom you have little faith. In my case, I've had at least 1 plumber, 1 builder and 1 sparky around who I would not trust making me a cup of tea not least re-wiring/plumbing or building in my home. When I have 3 estimates from 3 people I would be happy to give the job to irrespective of cost, I'll draw the line and make a decision.

Would you accept a task (eg: driving to a job, spending an hour, then driving home, spending another hour and a 1st class stamp) where you have odds of less than 25% of getting paid?

Perhaps you understand why those of us lucky enough to well respected in our field simply aren't interested in wasting our time on odds of less than 33%. Who, in their right mind, would be?
If you're as great as you proclaim, then you shouldn't worry should you?

I'm afraid you would fall into the 'messer' category. From your post, you are going to waste at least 9 tradespeople's time, the costs of which will all be borne by their other customers over the next 12 months.
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. If you came and quoted for work for me or my company with the attitude that your time is so valuable you're actually doing me a favour by supplying me with a cost, you would fall into the "tosser" category and would be shown the door within minutes.

But don't worry, because the trades you choose will also have wasted their time quoting on similar odds elsewhere and will be looking to recoup their losses by fitting imported radiator valves and the cheapest controls on your job.

Everyone pays for this behaviour and it's irresponsible.

So that's how you make your money when you're the fourth tradesmen through the door.... How enlightening.

Sponsored Links
If you came and quoted for work for me or my company with the attitude that your time is so valuable you're actually doing me a favour by supplying me with a cost, you would fall into the "t****r" category and would be shown the door within minutes.
You have hit the nail on the head. Too many tradesmen think they should just be given the job - no questions asked; and definitely no comparisons made with others in their field. After all the others are just cowboys. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back