How long should Pebble dash rendering last - NHBC claim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

It looks like my pebble dash rendering is letting in water and I suspect that its blown in places, ie sounding hollow.

I have logged a claim under my HSBC insurance as the house is only 7 years old, question is would you expect the render to last this long and how long would you expect it to last?

My neigbour has had his redone via a NHBC claim and it looks like the builders did the render during winter and probably didn't do it when it was dry so it didn't adhese properly.

Just need some info before I get the inspector onsite.

Thanks in advance

J

Sponsored Links
Any external wall coating, be it render, tyrolean, roughcast etc, done correctly, using the correct mixes, working in the right weather conditions, should last as long as the property itself. It's a "major part" of the property ..... Sounds to me as if you have a definite argument.... A seven year old house and the roughcast is falling off,,,,, for god's sake.

Roughcaster.

Thanks Mr Caster,

The render doesn't appear to be coming off at the moment but I suspect that its coming away due to hollow sounds in some areas, I take it that any sort of gap is unacceptable.

By looking at it it looks fine as I can't see any obvious cracks, I've read some bad reports about NHBC surveyors so I don't want him to fob me off.

Used to come from Fochabers so know Moray well!

Usually dashing / harling (I think you call it up North) was put on house's in "exposed" areas as it dis-spells water better than flat render and like RC said should last the house out...(If done by spreads who know what and when and how to do it!!!)

Sponsored Links
I used to live in a house where the pebbledash went loose and flaky and had to be replaced after 70 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back