How long to soak lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am using 1700 lining paper (Mav) which I have used over a whole house in the past with great results.

This time I have ended up with long vertical bubbles on most pieces and a lot of edges have lifted. I have searched here and it looks that the paper wasn't left long enough to soak. I thought that it was all left for about 7mins (same as last time). Walls were sized.

Would the temperature make any difference? The house was flippin' freezin'.

Does the paste make any difference? I bought 'own make' from Crown Decorating Centre but used Solvite last time. Was told 'own make' was just as good............. :oops:

Before I start again after stripping all of this off, (I don't think it can be salvaged), what ratio of water to paste would you guys use, and how long would you leave it to soak in a freezin' house.

Any other tips?

Thanks
from a very fed up girl

Sponsored Links
I always use Solvite, best paste of all. 7 to 10 mins should be ok for soaking, but some times if left too long the edges can dry out. You must put plenty of paste on. Not enough and it wont stick. You cant really have too much as it will always dry out.

If its really cold it will take longer to dry out, but you dont want to force it with heating or it will dry to quick and possibly shrink.

When you have pasted a length of paper, make sure it is folded top and tail or concertina this will help keep edges together when soaking.

A 12 pint pack of Solvite, 1 sachet, will mix in half a bucket of water and will be of a decent enough consistency for most papers.

Sponsored Links
My old dad used to swear that his method of testing the consistency of paste was foolproof :rolleyes: He said that you put the stirring stick in the middle standing up and as long as it didn't freefall to the sides then you were okay. a Gem :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back