How many bedding plants?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’ve cleared a flowerbed (6 foot by 12 foot). How many plants would this take? I know they expand, but would like to fill as much as possible.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
You might like to put in some plants that will grow big (tallest ones as the back) then fill in between them with quick-growing annuals, that will be overwhelmed by the large ones as they get bigger

If you main plants will grow to (say) 2ft wide and 2ft high, put them in at this distance. You'd use a row of about 6 at the back

And about 3 rows

But use smaller plants as you get nearer the front

In my front garden, I have a summer bed of similar size where I put tomato plants along the back wall, followed by large decorative plants, followed by border plants, followed by small. It uses about 4 large decs, ten border, 30 small, and an infinite number of Alyssum. It is intended to have a lot of bright showy flowers for the summer

No reason you should like my choice, but the plants reduce from about a metre at the back to 100mm at the front of the bed, and the number of small, plants is greater than the number of large. It also holds over 100 tulips, which are planted deeper.

you will probably be able to reach to the back with a hoe. If you grow annuals from seed, the cost is trivial

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back