How many coats emulsion in 1 day

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many coats emulsion are allowed in 1 day, my decorator has gone after applying 2 coats on of matt emulsion on plasterboard walls, says 2 is the max in 1 day, is this correct ??

Sponsored Links
Generally, yes. The first coat needs to dry for a few hours before the second is applied. If you take into consideration that the second also needs a few hours, then by the time that is dry it will usually be time for packing up.
Of course, this is dependent on how big the room is, and what time the decorator is willing to work until.

I'd agree

If it is matt, it dries and covers quite well. The first coat is likely to soak in fast, especially if thinned as a sealant or mist coat. The second will be slower. In my experience you have to be more careful with Silk, as the second coat will soften the first if it has not hardened overnight. Patchy coverage results.

BTW fresh air and ventilation are best for drying paint.
Not heating and closed windows.

I have done three coats in a day if working till midnight :mad:

As an amateur, I like to apply a coat or two of matt white emulsion to walls, starting with a thinned mist coat, before I start the decorative finish. This highights any remaining blemishes to the eye, so you can fill or smooth them and re-coat them with white. It also gives you a very regular surface of uniform absorbtion and colour, so the finish coats are less likely to have any patchiness. A professional might not want to spend the extra time this takes and would be a generally faster worker (time is money if you're making a living out of it).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back