How many CPCs in a metal backbox?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am going to make a small modification to my new build electrics. In the downstairs hallway I have a 2-gang switch. Gang 1 controls outdoor light, gang 2 controls upstairs and downstairs light (further two switches upstairs do same).

Neutrals are at the switch.

Downstairs pendant is paralleled off of upstairs pendant. Gang 2 is fed with a piece of three core from the upstairs switch.

I'm going to replace the 2-gang with a 3-gang so I have outdoor light, downstairs, upstairs. The only drawback is that I won't be able to turn downstairs on from upstairs but I can live with this as I don't want to run a new piece of three core.

To accomplish this, I will be running a new piece of 1mm from the downstairs switch to the downstairs pendant. I'll disconnect the run between both lights at both ends and Wago it off in the ceiling void for good measure.

So my question - how many CPCs (1mm) can you have going to a single terminal on the metal backbox? At the moment it's five (upstairs switch, downstairs loop in & out, outdoor light). Can I make it six or should I bring everything into a 7-way Wago and fly out to the back box?

Sponsored Links
Can I make it six or should I bring everything into a 7-way Wago and fly out to the back box?
It doesn't matter as long as all are connected satisfactorily.

A metal switch faceplate would, of course, also require earthing.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter as long as all are connected satisfactorily.

A metal switch faceplate would, of course, also require earthing.

Thanks for this, this is what I'm thinking about and how best to achieve. Plastic face plate (Hager) with no CPC terminal.

I take it the earths shouldn't be twisted together and I presume doubling over won't be possible.

Basically if they all go in and survive a tug test, this is acceptable?

Why not make things easy, and put some in a connector block, some in the box terminal, and a wire between?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back