How many days to tile this area?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have added an extension to a 1930s semi which we now need to tile. The area is 48 sqm - which covers the new kitchen/diner, utility room, WC, closet and hall. The area is mostly newly laid screed except for the hall which will require plywood boarding to be enable tiles to be laid over floorboards. I believe self-levelling compound will be used to take the hall into the new area without creating a step. The tiles are ceramic and measure 45cm x 45cm. The rooms are empty as they will be furnished after the tiles are laid.

Our neighbour who is more competent at DIY than we are, says it will take about nine days and he is willing to do it for £120 per day.

I would like to know how many days would the job take if I were to get a professional tiler/builder in.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Mimi-nc

Sponsored Links
its very difficult to give an estimate with seeing the job.

best thing is call a local tiler or 2 get them in to see, quotes are 99% of the time free so check first, then you can compare your average diyer to a professionals time and price.

The actual tiling should only take a day, if you want the tiler to prepare the floor then another day or two depending on how bad it is, then 1/2 day to grout and clean up.

Thanks guys.

I thought 4-5 days was enough time - our neighbour only does this on the side so takes longer to do most things than a professional.

Sponsored Links
north - consider only using a pro. What'll happen if you fall-out with the neighbour over price/poor workmanship/time delays/etc. - what price do you pay for months/years of bad feeling resulting from this? Also a pro should have the appropriate insurances (admittedly low risk job), something your neighbour won't have.

A pro will also come and hit the job in one go, maybe your neighbour will have to 'fit-it-in' between his day job ... delays!

The actual tiling should only take a day, if you want the tiler to prepare the floor then another day or two depending on how bad it is, then 1/2 day to grout and clean up.

so what your saying is you can tile approx 48 sqm through 3 or 4 rooms in one day?

B***O*KS

Most tilers I know of work for about £120-£150 a day,labour only.
I always base my quotes on sq meter and that way if it takes longer it's no extra cost to the customer and it includes everything except the tiles.

I'm assuming that you are supplying the adhesive?

There is no way I would complete that in 4-5 days,more like 7 depending on how tricky the cuts are.

The actual tiling should only take a day
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :rolleyes:

1 day - cloud cuckoo land. :rolleyes:
More like 4 days if you need to do your own mixing and the overboarding is already done. Of course you'd be charged for 5 days. ;)

That's gonna be an awkward job with tiles that size through that many areas.

We had about 48 m² laid with marmox boards, lecky u/f heating and 600x300 tiles in 4 days... Tiler and apprentice working - so 8 man-days I suppose

HTH :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back