hollow sound under tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

just had new 60x60 porcelain tiles laid in our dining room/kitchen. I notice that one of the tiles gives a hollow noise when tapped in places (possibly in 60% of the tiles area) which i know means its not bonded in these areas.

what do people think? is it best left well alone? or should we get the tiler back to change the tile?

its towards the middle of the room so not sure if he can take it up without damaging other tiles or taking other up!

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
assuming the likely case that the hollow sound is a poor bed or lack of addy behind it then it will eventually crack. perhaps best to sort now.

of course and i know how hard it is - but ive seen plenty of porcelain crack on wooden floors due to movement and this is a high traffic area - isnt it better to get it sorted now while the tiles are available than in 8 months when it does crack and any replacement tile is a diff shade?

Sponsored Links
Thanks.. i guess it will probably be ok but it is kind of bugging me. I've called the tiler this morning. He's coming back to have a look on Saturday so i'll see what he thinks.

Even if he suggests leaving well alone, at least i've brought it to his attendtion so if it does become loose/crack then i can get him back round without paying!

thanks again

if you do end up leaving it, make sure you keep some of the tiles in the garage. then you have nothing to lose

Don't leave it,get the tiler to change it.
Is easy enough,just a matter of removing all the grout around it first then hit the hollow spot with a small bolster and hammer wearing eye protection of course.Once broken lever the pieces out and clean the area then relay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back