Advice needed please - hollow sound when tapping on tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm laying some 610x406 travertine tiles on the wall and the wall behind the particular row I am working on at the moment has a very gradual slope to it. In order to get the tile flush with the tile below, it has been necessary for one end of it to come away slightly from the wall.

I have been putting adhesive on the wall as well as back buttering the tiles and for this particular one, I had to dab extra on one side in order for it to hold. I have let it set overnight and was going to continue with the row today, but I have noticed a hollow sound when tapping the tile in all places but near the edges.

What I'm really wanting to know is the likelihood of this tile holding in the long term? Should I try and take it off and redo it with more adhesive in order to stop the hollow sound, or should I just carry on, put more adhesive on the next ones up and hope for the best with this one?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
the hollow sound is due to an area underneath not having adhesive in it,it would probably hold ok but I would lift it and fit it again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back