How Many Fence Posts With One Bag Of Postcrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never done any fencing before, and was wondering how many posts each 20 kg bag of Postcrete will fix in place? Will be using standard tannalised wooden posts, either 3"x3" or 4"x4" and basic shed supplied wooden panels. The ground is mostly soil.

productTemplate

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply. I only have 3 posts to fix in ground, so perhaps if someone should guesstimate what size whole I should dig and whether 2 or 3 bags of Postcrete are needed. Panels are 6'x6'.

Untill you dig the hole you will not no?
Depends on roots ,rocks and how stable the ground is ?
A guess would be 2 bags at least per hole ?
If you go to wickes or B&Q you could buy extra bags of ballast and cement and take the ones you do not use back ? This would be cheaper than post mix.
4 bags of 25Kg ballast to 1 bag of cement ,do the maths ?

Sponsored Links
Bank on 1.5 - 2 bags per hole. For the small extra amount, I'd opt to stick with postcrete over mixing your own. It goes off in 10 minutes, at least hard enough to not to have to prop your post up temporarily, even on a windy day.

I've just been putting posts in using that stuff from B&Q. I didn't put the posts in that deep, about 50 cm and it took 2 bags. I am also not sure how good it works if you follow the instructions and fill the hole 1/4 with water and then pour the postcrete in, then add some more water from the top once you emptied the whole bag. Most of the postcrete will remain dry. You either have to stir it or add water and the postcrete simultaneously imo.

2 bags per fence post. Use a proper post hole shovel, the clamp type, and keep the hole narrow. Dig 2ft down. Ram some small rubble down the gap once the post is put in place and wedge it down the sides firmly using the handle end of a mallet or similar. Then use the water first-postcrete-water method and use a stick/cane to agitate and mix it all in. The top of the postcrete should just be an inch or two below ground level. Leave to set overnight before fixing fencing to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back