How many kW does electric shower use in Economy mode?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched all over the internet, looked at manufacturer's websites and manuals, and I can't find a simple answer to this question:
How many kW does an electric shower use when in Economy mode? To be specific, a Mira Sport shower, but any ballpark figure will be fine, as I need to know what size of inverter I need to buy for my solar power system - so I need to know what the highest amount of kW I will be using at any one time is.

This seems to be an industry secret - try searching on Google or any search engine for 'How many kW does an electric shower use in Economy mode' and you won't find a simple answer in kW. You'll find everything but the answer. Does anybody know? I have a really old electricity meter, so it isn't that easy to work out how many kW the shower is using, as I have to count the little metal wheel going round over a set period of time, then do some maths (200 revolutions equals 1 kW/h I believe.)

Sponsored Links
I use the shower in Economy mode because I've never needed to use it in 'normal' mode, and I need to know the amount of kW it is taking, so I can work out the total number of kW that I might be using at any one time, so that I can buy an inverter that gives out slightly more than that amount.
When I have had my inverter set up and am using solar power and battery power, I won't be using anything other than Economy mode on the shower. i.e. I'm trying to keep the wattage as low as possible.

How much power does your PV system generate?

Bottom line is that not enough power = cool shower

Sponsored Links
Hi, I've usually noted that Mira showers have 3 power settings,
Cold - no heat
Economy - one element used
Full - both elements powered
Both elements are equally rated (ie use ½ of the rated power)
Mira electric showers range from 7.5kW - 10.8 kW
Therefore on Economy would be rated between 3.75kW - 5.4kW.

My Mira is rated at 9KW and when on Economy it uses about 4.4KW. So as Tricky says, just halve the rating to give an approximate figure. It is higher when first switched on but only for about 30 seconds.

but any ballpark figure will be fine, as I need to know what size of inverter I need to buy for my solar power system
Roughly half of what it's maximum rating is - and that's also assuming only the shower is being used and nothing else at all, and that it will only ever be used on economy, and when it's replaced it will be exactly the same.

However any electric shower is entirely the wrong solution to use with solar/batteries.
Get a hot water cylinder and immersion heater, then you can heat the water when solar is available, use the batteries for other things when solar isn't available.

Will this be on or off grid? If it is on grid the inverter will supply up to its maximum and the rest will come from the grid. If you have batteries make sure they are suitably rated to supply the inverter.

Thank you all so much for your replies - now I finally know that Economy mode is half normal mode. You would think shower manufacturers would be making this clear to prospective customers.
I know that solar panels are better used to heat an immersion heater, but I have two bathrooms, and I shower downstairs using the immersion heater water, while my girlfriend showers upstairs, using the electric shower. Otherwise it takes us twice as long to get ready for bed, if one is waiting while the other showers.
My solar inverters are 2 x 5kW, so power is no problem.

Oddly I'm also looking for the answer to this question as well. Thanks so much. We are looking to come off grid with our solar panels and it seems a closed market is going on with solar companies and the electric suppliers. All the national solar panel suppliers only supply a 3.6kw inverter, and won't fit anything else, as such its impossible to go off grid with such a small inverter. You can however do it yourself, or if lucky find a good independent to fit a system with a bigger inverter, and a battery storage you can add to as required, but its not easy. You may wonder why I would go off grid, simple the standing charges for electric in the UK are rising far faster that electric prices, and looking at this trend in around 5 years over 50% of your electric bill will be standing charges, put simply you will be paying a significant amount every month before you use a single KW. 99.9% of people who have had solar panels fitted are completely unaware that there system means they are tied to the national grid, without a complete new system to incorporate an off grid inverter, and extra battery storage, plus in most cases additional solar panels they will be paying these standing charges, they have no choice. Simply they are been sold a product that will keep them tied into the grid, which keeps them paying the standing charge. Its logical, how else will electric companies make money for their share holders if they don't keep people tied into the grid? Thanks so much for the answer it really helps.

Oddly I'm also looking for the answer to this question as well. Thanks so much. We are looking to come off grid with our solar panels and it seems a closed market is going on with solar companies and the electric suppliers. All the national solar panel suppliers only supply a 3.6kw inverter, and won't fit anything else, as such its impossible to go off grid with such a small inverter. You can however do it yourself, or if lucky find a good independent to fit a system with a bigger inverter, and a battery storage you can add to as required, but its not easy. You may wonder why I would go off grid, simple the standing charges for electric in the UK are rising far faster that electric prices, and looking at this trend in around 5 years over 50% of your electric bill will be standing charges, put simply you will be paying a significant amount every month before you use a single KW. 99.9% of people who have had solar panels fitted are completely unaware that there system means they are tied to the national grid, without a complete new system to incorporate an off grid inverter, and extra battery storage, plus in most cases additional solar panels they will be paying these standing charges, they have no choice. Simply they are been sold a product that will keep them tied into the grid, which keeps them paying the standing charge. Its logical, how else will electric companies make money for their share holders if they don't keep people tied into the grid? Thanks so much for the answer it really helps.
I tested by turning off the main incomer, and my solar panels still work, however I am limited to a pair of double sockets and a FCU the latter feeds the central heating, as you say the inverter is around 3.5 kW so maximum power one can use is that.

However the freezers use too much, background usage is around 350 watt, so the battery is not enough to do the night, but unless we have spare power to charge the batteries, then there is no point in having more, so to be self sufficient one's solar array would need to be far larger than mine, I have seen nearly a 5 kW charge on a good day, but to be self sufficient I would need three times what I have now, and my roof is simply not big enough.

If I need just 1 kWh from the grid, then idea of going island is a non starter. I think without the grid we could with some candles or touches we could survive, but not live the life we want, yes we could fit showers from the hot water storage, get a new washing machine which uses a hot fill, but we still need the oil for the central heating. Maybe we could cut and burn wood, we could also build a mud hut, and one has to consider if one really wants to be a slave to the sun, arranging the whole of our daily routine around how much sun light we have got.

I am guilty since getting solar panels, every day I have a look on how they have preformed, and am aware if I make two cups of coffee at the same time it costs more than making one after the other. I suppose this is what the government wants with the smart meter role out, rather pointless when in my case the existing meters already allow me to monitor usage 20 second by 20 seconds.

There has to be a trade off with showers, the more water the quicker we can shower up to a limit, so to say a 7.5 kW is cheaper to run to a 11 kW is not quite that simple. Woman it seems get the dirt more ingrained than men, and need a longer shower, the miners did not really spend that long in the pit head showers.

It is questionable is a bath better? As it does not depend on how long you are in it as to what it costs, but since moving into this house I thing I have used the bath twice. One bath has my wife's e-bike parked in it. But in theory we could fill the bath from a kettle on the fire. I have not got a back boiler, but it would be easy enough to install the pipes are very close to the open fire.

We use to have central heating years ago
1694767015427.png
one fire in the centre of the house, we used no electric, and only oil was Whale oil, using fossil fuels has been the really good for the Whales, it has resulted in the end of Whaling, we really don't want to return to the old days.

You need to buy an 'off grid' inverter, you can get them in the U.K. from Voltaconsolar.com, you will probably need two x 5kW inverters or one 10-11kW inverter. How big is your solar array?

I have a triton 9.5kw shower about 6 years old, the economy mode can only be used on a very hot day, all other times its tepid n cool. In the house i'm the only one who uses it in this mode and on a hot day. Wife finds it too cold. to If you have an energy monitor you can monitor it and work it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back