Shower KW on a 32AMP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking to a bit of help to what kw shower I need to buy for bathroom

Shower is on a Hager 32A type 2 M6 240/415V circuit breaker

Its on 10mm cable with a run of approx 4 meters

The old shower has been there 20 years and doesn't show the kw (Mira Sport 7)

I want to put a powerful shower in but not sure what is possible

Thanks in advance for any advice

Sponsored Links
About 7kW

but depending on the cable and its route you may be able to have a higher MCB. It is quite difficult for the inexperienced eye to judge.

How certain are you that it is 10mm2 cable?

What makes you think it is 10mm2 cable?

How are you 'measuring' or 'judging' this?

Have to ask this, or else we may go down the wrong road.

Thanks

Was hoping for more than 7kw :(

Cable measures 17mm wide and from what I've read that should be 10mm??

I'm getting an electrician to wire up when I have finished the suite/tiling but looking at shower options first

Sponsored Links
I'm getting an electrician to wire up when I have finished the suite/tiling but looking at shower options first

Maybe get the electrician in before tiling etc to change the cable for a bigger one if needs be!

Look at the earth conductor in the cable. If it is stranded, it is 10 milli.

Thanks, had a look today and it is stranded so must be 10mm

Does that mean I can get more than a 7k shower on the 32 amp. The one I want has a minimum kw of 8.5

Thanks

Calculate 32amp multiplied by 230volt to find the maximum watts your MCB can supply.

Calculate 32amp multiplied by 230volt to find the maximum watts your MCB can supply.
Your existing set up can only deliver 32x230 = about 7.3KW.
The limit on the current is set by the 32A MCB.

If your cable is 10mm², this can support more than 32A. This is can be achieved by first checking the EFLI of the circuit, and then a larger MCB could be fitted that will allow more current. This nedds to be done by an electrician who will also need to check that the supply is suitable for the higher current and also other factors - some older fuseboxes are not built for circuits that are higher than 30ish amps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back