breezer said:
crafty1289 said:
and the 45A pullswitch.

(breezer strokes chin) hmmm

comms said:
power(kw)/volts(230)=amps

10.8kw / 230 volt = 46.9amp

:idea: this

i forgot about them, i just seem to remember someone on here saying that people will soon have to start using 63A isolators for their showers and cookers with the rate of increase in power.

Sponsored Links
ther are 2 earth rods outside, 1 in the front and 1 in the back garden,
thats all i can see, the earth wires in the cu go up into the ceiling,
i dont know what the eathing size is and their is`nt any rcd, unless he`s putting one in

Are there any cables attached to these earth rods? If so, where do they go?

I do hope you don't have an installation with no earth, and no RCD... :eek:

yes the rods are earthed,
I seem to be getting different suggestions, so i`m getting confused.
Please can a have a solution,?
:?:
my shower is on 10m2 cable all the way to the double pole 45a then to the cu,
it is to be connected to a 32a mcb type b
the ELCB is 0.1 1th=40a 240/415v 50hz
eclb cable goes into the metre
my earth goes from the rods to the earth block,
another earth cable goes from the block to the water main
Also isn`t elcb the same as an rcd.

Sponsored Links
What we are trying to determine is if your installation is TT which is what it sounds like to me. To speak, the rods are not earthed, in a TT system they are the earth.
TT installations require an RCD on socket outlets, and depending on the EFLI of the supply, may require RCD on all circuits. This is why at one time it is likely the 100mA 40A ELCB was connected between the meter and the CU.
the ELCB is 0.1 1th=40a 240/415v 50hz
eclb cable goes into the metre
The current rating is not high enough even for just the shower. The fact that this devices cables only go to the meter makes me think it has been disconnected. This means the ELCB is of no use whatsoever and could be dangerous if your supply is TT. What happens when you turn the ELCB off?
Also isn`t elcb the same as an rcd.
Depends how old the ELCB is, some used to monitor current in the earth path which are now not used, others are the same as an RCD.

:!: The above points need checked and corrected before working on the electric shower.

my shower is on 10m2 cable all the way to the double pole 45a then to the cu, it is to be connected to a 32a mcb type b
The double pole switch is too small, you need a 50A one. The MCB is also too small, you need a 50A MCB.

elcb trips if i unscew any fixing in house, Theirs only one power switch in cu and thats on the elcb.
A spark has told me that 32a mcb is okay but rather be safe than sorry.
can`t i just get a mcbo instead of rcd :?:

So turning off the ELCB turns the entire fuse box off?
The ELCB is still not big enough to take the loading of the shower. It needs replacing with a 100A, 100mA trip version assuming you have a 100A service fuse (it should tell you on the company knockout fuse holder before the meter). Did you tell the electrician the size of the shower? You need a separate RCD rated min 50A (probably 63A), 30mA trip for the shower. You still need a 50A MCB & you still need a 50A pullcord.

i have just looked at the shower instructions and it says 10.5 = 45a mcb
and yes your right it states it must have a 30a rcd and 45a double pole.
He has the 45a double pole, wondering why he isn`t using a rcd, thats why i wondering is the elcb good enough.
I know he`s upgrading the mcb, i`ll have to ask him.
shower is triton seville 10.5

You still cannot run a 45A shower (and the rest of the CU) through a 40A ELCB. It needs replaced with a bigger one. If the manufacturers instructions say 45A swich and 45A fuse they should be fine. The 30mA RCD to go inline with the shower should be 45A minimum. I still think the RCD to replace the ELCB for the main supply needs to be 100A, 100mA, possibly time delayed type. Also, what rating is your electricity suppliers knockout?

this is every thing written on the elcd without the photo to show you.

test on 1 404elm
button off switch earth leakage
circuit breaker

type tested to
Bs4293

trip current = 0.1a
1th = 40a
mem 240/415v 50hz
birmingham made in germany
( ONLY OTHER THINGS IN CU IS METER AND A BLACK BOX SAYING ISCCO)

earth1.gif

__________________________________/\____ What does it say on this box installed before the meter. (not the ELCB)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back