How many lumens for a batten loft light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am having the loft boarded, which doesn't have any windows and wanted to install a batten light, the size of the boarding will be 50 sqr ft.

Can some advise how many lumens the batten light should be to provide good visibility?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
We have a 4 foot old style tube light which had an approximate 32w fluorescent tube which I have replaced with an LED tube using 16W.
It seems just as bright but the issue, as before, is the spread of light as it's centrally mounted, therefore working either end creates shadows. Depending on the width of your boarded area, I would consider having two fitted to minimise shadow.

Sponsored Links
An old 100W filament lamp is about 1600 lumens.

I managed to get some 20-25W CFL globes to match it, but LEDs are rare. It would be an LED of 18-22W or therabouts.

Lofts tend to be dark in colour, and have timbers that cast shadows. I favour at least two lamps, one at each end or each side.

If you have water tanks and plumbing, at least one to illuminate it.

You might also consider LED camping lanterns. Modern alkaline batteries often have a ten-year life if unused.

You can have a wander-lamp with long flex if you prefer, and hang it on the timbers wherever you want. Never drop it in the water tank. And if you do, never reach in to get it out.

Last edited:
The problem is the spread of light, likely one 5 meter lighting strip at 1800 lumen (18 watt) would be more than ample, but using fluorescent tube type lights one would need two to cover area so you would likely need 4400 lumen (2 x 22 watt) to get the spread.

It also depends on colour of roof, and what you want to do, my loft I have one 15 watt (1300 lumen) LED bulb, which is good enough to see what I am treading on, but I am 6 foot and I can stand up in my loft, the lower it is the harder to light.

Thanks, seems like I would need two of the batten, Amazon seem to have some good deals.

Is it OK to use a double pole switch instead of running a switch wire? I just seem to think this uses more wire then needed?

Yes, sort of, but you don't need a DP switch for either method.

Oh thats interesting.

How would it work with a normal single pole switch? As I was planning to run the live from a recent light pendent to the double pole light switch, to the light and then from there run to the other light.

You just connect the Neutrals together at the switch - or carefully remove the sheath and only cut the Line conductor.

It might be just as easy to use a DP switch but they are 'clunkier' than light switches.

You just connect the Neutrals together at the switch - or carefully remove the sheath and only cut the Line conductor.

It might be just as easy to use a DP switch but they are 'clunkier' than light switches.

So... I would run the live feed from a current light into the switch and then run a wire from the switch to the batten light?

You often find Junction boxes in the loft for lamps on the ceiling below, which are a convenient supply. You want the switch in easy reach of the loft hatch. I use a pull cord

Ahh now I understand, therefore only the live would be connected to the physical switch ;)

You often find Junction boxes in the loft for lamps on the ceiling below, which are a convenient supply. You want the switch in easy reach of the loft hatch. I use a pull cord

The house it about 8 years old, aren't junction boxes old hat...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back