How many lumens for a batten loft light?

Sponsored Links
You often find Junction boxes in the loft for lamps on the ceiling below, which are a convenient supply. You want the switch in easy reach of the loft hatch. I use a pull cord

I use a normal switch, mounted on the wall, at the side of the loft ladder, just below the ceiling. Easy to switch on as you go up, easy switch off as you come down, plus you don't need to then climb up if you forget to turn it off and easy to check you have turned it off.

It might also be worthwhile, to add a 13amp socket up there. Wired from the same lighting circuit, so you can plug in low current loads like an inspection light - yes it is legal to do that.

I use a normal switch, mounted on the wall, at the side of the loft ladder, just below the ceiling. Easy to switch on as you go up, easy switch off as you come down, plus you don't need to then climb up if you forget to turn it off and easy to check you have turned it off.

It might also be worthwhile, to add a 13amp socket up there. Wired from the same lighting circuit, so you can plug in low current loads like an inspection light - yes it is legal to do that.

13amp is a great idea and will defiantly have this wired in. Wasn't sure about using the light circuit, would I have to used a fused spur switch or is it possible to purchase a socket with a fused spur already on?

Sponsored Links
13amp is a great idea and will defiantly have this wired in. Wasn't sure about using the light circuit, would I have to used a fused spur switch or is it possible to purchase a socket with a fused spur already on?

No need, just fit the socket. The lighting circuit will already have it's MCB to protect it, probably 6amp - but be aware, plugging anything more than 6amp in, will put you in darkness.

...perhaps an interesting usage for a 3 gang socket?
1695197287916.png

...perhaps an interesting usage for a 3 gang socket?
Maybe, but it would probably only satisfy our absent friend if it had a 6A (or smaller) fuse in it - and, even if it were initially fitted with such a fuse, he would no doubt argue that someone wanting to plug their vacuum cleaner or welder into it might change it for a 13A fuse ;)

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
Maybe, but it would probably only satisfy our absent friend if it had a 6A (or smaller) fuse in it - and, even if it were initially fitted with such a fuse, he would no doubt argue that someone wanting to plug their vacuum cleaner or welder into it might change it for a 13A fuse ;)

Kind Regards, John

How did you know... lol

Maybe not a welder but defiantly a vacuum cleaner, on a serious note. I am thinking of a home water booster and I have a wire in the loft which I will spur off for the socket.

How did you know... lol ..... Maybe not a welder but defiantly a vacuum cleaner, on a serious note. I am thinking of a home water booster and I have a wire in the loft which I will spur off for the socket.
Our 'absent friend' only seemed to be concerned (ad infintum!) about vacuum cleaners :)

As you may know, the regs actually explicitly permit the connection of 13A sockets )single or double) to lighting circuits. If that is done, it makes sensible to label the sockets to warn people that they are not suitable for 'large' loads (like vacuum cleaners) but, even if one doesn't do that ,the 'worst' that happens is that the breaker trips (or fuse blows). Yes, as some point out, there is the potential risk of being 'plunged into darkness' in a loft in such circumstances, but since that can also happen for other reasons (like a 'power cut', or someone operating a switch for the light which is outside of the loft!!), anyone who goes into a windowless loft without a torch in their pocket is probably somewhat foolish ;)

Kind Regards, John

Don't waste your money on Chinese tat from Amazon. I got a really good 5ft Thorn one from a local retailer for about £35. Well thought out design, super quick to fit:

I never assume that those in charge know what they’re talking about.
Very wise.

However, you presumably don't believe that everything in BS7671 is 'incorrect'/'wrong' so my (implied) question about your view in relation to this one specific issue still remains - i.e. do you believe that BS 7671 is 'wrong' in including 13A sockets in the list of things which may be supplied by a 'lighting circuit'?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back