How many lumens for a batten loft light?

Did you happen to notice where the Thorn one was manufactured?

Kind Regards, John

I did, but its a known respectable brand, and not a unit you can find under multiple different brand names on Amazon. I've tried el cheapo LED's before, they invariably fail early

Sponsored Links
I did, but its a known respectable brand, and not a unit you can find under multiple different brand names on Amazon.
I wouldn't be so sure about that as a generalisation. It seems that some of the products sold "under multiple different brand names on Amazon (and elsewhere)" are exactly the same products, made in the same factory, as those bearing the branding of a 'respectable brand'. There are, of course, some rogue products around, but one just can't generalise.
I've tried el cheapo LED's before, they invariably fail early
As I often report, for what it's worth that differs from my experience. Over the years, I've tried LED lamps/bulbs ranging from 'very expensive' to 'cheap and nasty' and have found that, in general, their reliability/lifespan of the latter is, in general, at least as good as the former - and that, ironically, my worst experiences were with expensive 'very reputable brand' ones. Again, one simply can't generalise.

Kind Regards, John

As you have said in another thread.
That's not what I asked. Sure, there is no compulsion (unless dictated by membership of a trade organisation etc.) to comply with BS 7671, but that does does not answer my question as to whether you, personally, believe that BS 7671 is 'wrong' in saying that BS1363 accessories (such as 13A sockets) can be supplied by a 'lighting circuit'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes it would appear to be wrong wouldn’t it? There is no problem supplying a 13 amp socket off a 6 amp circuit but it should not be a circuit that also supplies the lights.

A loft space will usually only have the lighting circuit accessible in it. Putting a socket on that lighting circuit, for occasional use, is a fair compromise, versus the alternative of doing considerable damage to decorations, to tap into a socket circuit.

Yes it would appear to be wrong wouldn’t it?
That's clearly a matter about which opinions vary.
There is no problem supplying a 13 amp socket off a 6 amp circuit but it should not be a circuit that also supplies the lights.
As I always say, if your concern is about 'people being plunged into darkness', then I think that there are reasons that could happen which are (in my opinion) far more likely than someone plugging a large load into a socket in the loft which is on a lighting circuit (e.g. a power cut or, more likely, someone operating a switch for the loft lights which is outside of the loft etc. etc.) - so the only sensible safeguard against that eventuality is to be sensible and always have a torch in one's pocket when going into a windowless loft space (or even one with windows, after dark!).

Particularly if the socket is appropriately labelled, I think the probability of anyone plugging in a 'large load' in a loft is very low.

Kind Regards, John

People tend not to read labels. And as I said previously most people have no idea of the loading of different appliances.

Do you have very many strangers visiting your loft to plug things in?

Or did you mean yourself?

People tend not to read labels. And as I said previously most people have no idea of the loading of different appliances.
Both partially true. However, I would also suggest that it is pretty rare for anyone to plug anything into a socket which exists in a roofspace/loft - so the probability of their doing that and not reading the label and not knowing the load represented by their particular appliance must be extremely small.

... and, in any event, as I've said, the consequences of that extremely rare event occurring are no worse than the consequences of a power cut or of someone switching the loft lights off from outside of the loft (or, indeed, of the lamp/bulb in the loft light dying).

When people express concern over such things, I am inclined to ask them whether they travel in cars, use power tools or climb ladders etc. etc., let alone smoke or drink fairly large amounts of alcohol ;)

Kind Regards, John

I thought we were talking about 13amp sockets on light circuits not specifically in lofts.
You might have been, but (as always) most of us are talking about lofts - not the least because that is one of the few places where it is often much more convenient to do that than to find a way of connecting to a sockets circuit. There is very rarely a need to put (or any point in putting) a 13A socket on a lighting circuit elsewhere.

Kind Regards, John

There is very rarely a need to put (or any point in putting) a 13A socket on a lighting circuit elsewhere.

I don't have need for a socket from the lighting circuit in my own loft, because it is converted to a workshop and has a large number of sockets up there, running on their own circuit. But...

I needed an extra 13amp socket, at the top of the landing, for a landline phone, drop in charger. The only convenient power, was the 6amp supply to the charger for the stair lift, so I added a socket to that. I must confess, that without thinking, I once plugged a vacuum cleaner into that new socket and managed to trip the MCB. I then added a label 'PHONE CHARGER ONLY' - As well as adding a proper socket on the ring, located on the landing.

As it seems to be the fashion for people to use 1.5mm² T&E for the "lighting circuit", perhaps the country could make these 16A circuits which would keep everyone happy (fat chance) if someone wanted a socket on the circuit - could even be with 1mm².

Before someone says that lighting accessories are only 6A, that doesn't matter does it?
After all the accessories would not have the 16A running through them just as 13A sockets are alright on 32A circuits.

.... I needed an extra 13amp socket, at the top of the landing, for a landline phone, drop in charger. The only convenient power, was the 6amp supply to the charger for the stair lift, so I added a socket to that. I must confess, that without thinking, I once plugged a vacuum cleaner into that new socket and managed to trip the MCB. I then added a label 'PHONE CHARGER ONLY' - As well as adding a proper socket on the ring, located on the landing.
Fair enough, but I don't think that is incompatible with my "fairly rarely". Most people wanting to add a socket on a landing would probably find it easier to get a feed from a sockets circuit than a lighting one and, of course, very few will have a 6A 'stair lift charger circuit'!

I have to wonder why you have a (presumably 'dedicated'?) 6A circuit for a stair lift charger, rather than running it from a sockets circuit?

Kind Regards, John

Kitchens are another one. People put them in to accept wall worts for under cupboard lights.
Kitchen are usually very well provided with sockets circuit(s), so I don't see why there would usually be a need to install sockets for wall-warts which were fed from a lighting circuit (and probably much more difficult to do than feeding it from a nearby sockets circuit).

The one place one sometimes sees this in kitchens is with extractor hoods, which (for convenience) are often fed from lighting circuits - but there is then only a need to install a 13A socket if, for some reason, one wants to connect the hood with a plug - and, even if one did install a 13A socket, I doubt that many people would climb onto the cooker to unplug the hood and plug in their vacuum cleaner or welder ;)
I also came across one once feeding a (too high level) TV from the lights circuit in the ceiling.
Similar to the cooker hood, I suppose, but my same comments apply.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back