How many radiators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
did a search but could not find the info.
my question is how many radiators would be recommended for a room 5m by 3.5m?
The room having one window and a pair of french doors.
The single radiator is located on the opposite wall to the window/door and is 1m long
cheers
:)

Sponsored Links
There is no defined number - it comes down to the total rate of heat output for all radiators in the room, and the practicalities of size for each one.

For example, three 1m rads will emit heat at almost exactly the same rate as one 3m rad (of the same make and type).

To get this right you need to calculate the rate of heat loss for the room, and provide radiators whose output exceeds that rate of loss. The amount of excess determines how quickly the room will heat up from cold, but also how big your bills will be.

There is no defined number - it comes down to the total rate of heat output for all radiators in the room, and the practicalities of size for each one.

For example, three 1m rads will emit heat at almost exactly the same rate as one 3m rad (of the same make and type).

To get this right you need to calculate the rate of heat loss for the room, and provide radiators whose output exceeds that rate of loss. The amount of excess determines how quickly the room will heat up from cold, but also how big your bills will be.
Thank you for your reply, what are the calculations is this something i can work out?
Or is there a general rule of thumb?
regards
dcw

You should use a heat loss calculator - I still have a Mears calculator, but these days there is PC software and also web sites that do it. Google should reveal a few of them.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the info will have a look again later but a quick calc tells me i need 5420 btu.
:D

Why will the amount of excess affect how big the bill will be, i.e. the amount of gas used?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back