How much can i make up with tile cement ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya

Just started trying to tile a small space at the bottom of the stairs about 1M X 1M
Its an old house and the floor is out badly, from one side to the other i loose the bubble in the spirit level ...............ok only a small spirit level 30cm say.
Now i know i have to start at the highest point and work back but was wondering how much i can lift the tiles on the Adhesive
??
I am probably looking at about 5 to 10 mm, as it is an old house i expected it to be out but thought i'd check if its ok to make up that much under the tile.
It has three doors and the stairs and don't really want to have to level it unless i really have to, but it does get a lot of through traffic.
I know i would probably be better not tiling it but the porch is tiled with the same tiles and now i have replaced the old front door with a nice glass one you can see into the porch so looking to keep it the same.
I have checked and i can loose the extra hight with the metal carpet strip thingy that joins rooms. (sorry don't know its proper name)
Thanks for any help.

Ohh yeh the tiles are 33 X 33 size wise.

Martin

Sponsored Links
Yeah you can make that up with adhesive. But do you really need to? Is it that noticeable? If not, leave it and call it "character". ;)

Cheers gcol for your quick reply :D

I can't see it noticing that much really as its only just over 3 tiles wide, but as the porch has the same tiles was trying to run them straight in line ok with a door in between but thought it would look better, then tomorrow cut round the door frames so i had solid tiles to work from.
Only prob was the bloody floor after laying two found it to be way out and guess what i have to put the cut tiles in round the damn door frame first lol.
Thanks for your speedy reply

Martin

leveling a floor wen tiling is near impossible you just need to go with the flow keep it level to the eye so its a nice finish but dont waste too much time tryin to get it level you will be there for weeks wen you butter some of the tiles make sure you leave a longer setting time before grouting

Sponsored Links
STOP!!!!
please don't dredge up old posts from 2008...
check the date before replying..

the search function has a lot to answer for..

they ought to auto lock a thread after it's 3 months since the last reply..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back