morter cement and tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi in the bathroom where the sink was there where 1 or 2 deep holes which i filled with morter cement i allowed to dry and primed will i be able to tile over this or have i done something wrong ??

Another quickie i had a small partion wall say waist hight square shaped thing it was which was made out of a wooden frame it had plaster board nailed on and then was tiled over. it must have been used by previous occupier to close the shower area. it had a screen on top of it and on the side it had one door and the other door on the wall its a big area so perhasp someone disabled anyway i have taken this down for tileing the wall it was joint to. once tiled im planning on having it put back this is where a few questions arise
1. am i ok too have the wooden frame fitted back to the wall with the tiles in place on the wall. or should i have left the frame on the wall and tiled around it
2. is the plaster board to the frame a good idea. when i removed the old tiles that were there the plaster board got damaged so i need to buy something to cover the frame so the tiles can stick to the framed area. shall i buy a plaster board again or shall i buy something else.
3. the screens that were there will i be able to reuse because if the framed wall is out a bit the doors between the wall and the partion wall may not close or am i worrying to much

thanks for any advise

Sponsored Links
hi in the bathroom where the sink was there where 1 or 2 deep holes which i filled with morter cement i allowed to dry and primed will i be able to tile over this or have i done something wrong ??
No problem.

Another quickie i had a small partion wall say waist hight square shaped thing it was which was made out of a wooden frame it had plaster board nailed on and then was tiled over. it must have been used by previous occupier to close the shower area. it had a screen on top of it and on the side it had one door and the other door on the wall its a big area so perhasp someone disabled anyway i have taken this down for tileing the wall it was joint to. once tiled im planning on having it put back this is where a few questions arise
1. am i ok too have the wooden frame fitted back to the wall with the tiles in place on the wall. or should i have left the frame on the wall and tiled around it
2. is the plaster board to the frame a good idea. when i removed the old tiles that were there the plaster board got damaged so i need to buy something to cover the frame so the tiles can stick to the framed area. shall i buy a plaster board again or shall i buy something else.
3. the screens that were there will i be able to reuse because if the framed wall is out a bit the doors between the wall and the partion wall may not close or am i worrying to much
Not sure I understand you but plasterboard is fine to tile on to. If in a shower area, tanking is advisable.

tanking is it difficut? the thing is i have not tanked the rest of the shower area. i know its not good what i have done also i used the pva as primer only becasue the instruction on the b&q ready mixed adhesive and grout said . i no you guys advised get better stuff and some guys recon pva is no good in tiling and some say ok to use as primer. so i just followed the instruction on the premixed stuff.

would a moisture resistant board or concrete or cement board be better than the plaster board?? as i need to buy new one i may put a little extra and get a board the performs better than the plaster board

Tanking is not difficult.

Your post doesn't make it clear to me what you have done and are wanting to do so I'll make this generic.... plasterboard on its own is not too good to tile onto because it can be damaged by moisture. Tile backer board is preferrable over plain plasterboard, but it won't stop leaks. Now tanked plasterboard is superior to tile backer board because:
1. Tanking will prevent the plasterboard from being damaged by moisture.
2. You properly seal the edges of the plasterboard to the bath/shower using special tape and then tank over it. This gives you a proper watertight seal meaning that you don't have to worry about leaks.

Sponsored Links
i understand so if i didnt want to tank it and wanted a board that wud be okay if moisture was to get through. would a moisture resistant board be any good any other boards what about ply wood concreate??. basically the board is used to cover a small sized wooden frame which will be fitted the the tiled wall. then what ever board i choose will be fitted onto the frame then tiled over. once thats complete it had a screen that goes ontop. i think the previous occupant put screen ontop of the wooden framed wall so acts as a big barrier i hope this might give a clear understanding. or should i just scrap this wooden framed wall idea and just go and buy some shower screens. if i do that i think it will start to get complicated as there are 2 doors on the front of the shower area and they need a wall each to screw to. one side has a proper wall and the other side had the frame created wall which we are discussing. the bottom of the doors has a rubber seal which was quite firm against the shower floor. the floor is shaped higher where the doors are and then gradually dips down near the rear of the tray hope it makes it any more clearer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back