How Much For A New Boiler?

BF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A pretty open question I know but I am looking to establish a rough idea as to how much it costs to have a new boiler installed.

I have a 3 Bed Detached home (two occupants) with en-suite, a main bathroom and a cloak room.

There is a total of 9 radiators - one is a double.

I currently have an Ideal Classic boiler which has been installed for 18 years.

It is covered under a British Gas Homecare policy and they recently wrote to say that the manufacturer has advised them that they have stopped making some parts to my boiler.

Now, with tongue-in-cheek, I'm thinking that this is a nice opportunity for BG to sell me one of their boilers and from past posts that I have read on this forum they are very expensive.

Another reason why I am asking this questions is because I have a radiator in the living room that is cold at the bottom. Also, the system is noisy at times and I wonder if it needs a power flush.

Also, I am sure that new boilers are more efficient so may save money in energy costs.

It crossed my mind that rather then having a power flush it might be an opportunity to replace the boiler hence the reason why I ask how much it is likely to cost.

Thanks for any advice / guidance provided.

Sponsored Links
I'd be tempted to hang on to your classiic if I were you, most RGI's will agree they're virtually bomb proof.

Your one cold rad may just need removing and flushing out on its own.

It's not unknown for BG to scare people into needing a new boiler.

• Thanks
Reactions: BF
I'd be tempted to hang on to your classiic if I were you, most RGI's will agree they're virtually bomb proof.

Your one cold rad may just need removing and flushing out on its own.

It's not unknown for BG to scare people into needing a new boiler.

Thanks. That's a good option to explore.

Out of interest what sort of cost would it be to replace the boiler with one that is more efficient? How long does the work normally take?

Impossible to say without a site visit, but a ballpark figure for a straight like for like swap would be £1500.

Wait for it!!!

50 RGI's will now jump down my throat :LOL:

Sponsored Links
That's for a combi swap on a clean system.

More dross from our resident troll.
You still haven't answered why a combi is called a combi. :rolleyes: If you can't even do that, your credibility pertaining to combi advice is pretty low.

Impossible to say without a site visit, but a ballpark figure for a straight like for like swap would be £1500.

Wait for it!!!

50 RGI's will now jump down my throat :LOL:

I won't hold you to it :LOL:

I was just curious to know a ballpark figure.

Thanks for the replies.

keep the classic. It will probably outlast anything you replace it with. Take the rad off and flush with a hose in the garden. Cancel your BG policy, its a waste of money with a system like that. How many times have you called them out in the last 5 years? How much have you paid them in that time? does it add up right do you think?

• Thanks
More dross from our resident troll.
You still haven't answered why a combi is called a combi. :rolleyes: If you can't even do that, your credibility pertaining to combi advice is pretty low.

OK I shouild have said LESS than £1500 for a COMBI swap.

It's clear who the real troll is. :rolleyes:

keep the classic. It will probably outlast anything you replace it with. Take the rad off and flush with a hose in the garden. Cancel your BG policy, its a waste of money with a system like that. How many times have you called them out in the last 5 years? How much have you paid them in that time? does it add up right do you think?

I take your point and you would probably be right that I would have been better off without it.

The only times I have called them out in recent times was Xmas day the year before last and prior to that it has been in severe winter periods.

With regards to the Xmas call out I would have had no idea on who to have called and god knows what the cost would have been.

Whilst I can brave the cold my Wife certainly can / would not!

Typical bg scare tactics saying parts not available, there's only really 6 main parts to these and trust me most are on the shelf across the country

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back