How much gas per pound ??????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How much gas should a coin gas meter be set to at todays prices????? As I think it is set to high as i dont get much gas for one pound coin?????

Sponsored Links
It has a flat looking gauge on it and it looks like it moves up 25 notches when a pound is put in and it says its in cubic feet

Dearest way to pay for gas due to costs involved in collecting money etc. If the meter is set too high you will get money back in a rebate on emptying not much use if money is tight just now though. Why not get a card meter, far safer in case meter ever gets screwed an money nicked

Sponsored Links
The building has a main normal gas meter which is billed to the landlord and the flat I am in has its own boiler etc and its own meter which I put money in , I just dont know if the landlord has it set at a reasonable rate or not .

Pretty certain it is illegal for him to charge any extra than what he pays his supplier. Ask him who his supplier is and phone them to see how much they charge per unit and then work it out on meter readings.

Isn't there a display of gas used? You need to get a more accurate measurement. 25 could be 0.25 (or £4 pr cubic foot)! For reference, I'm paying around £1 per cubic foot of gas (=31 kW) with an ordinary tariff, so if your meter is a secondary one (your landlord reselling the gas to you) you shouldn't be paying a lot more than that. I think the law limits the amount a landlord can charge for gas or electricity.

Have a look on www.ofgem.gov.uk And then put a search in for secondary meter landlord.. Trawl through that and you should find how much extra can be charged

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back