How much of the wall is it safe to remove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How much of the wall (load bearing) is it safe to remove for horizontal channels and vertical channels. Also what's a safe size cavity (boxed back in of course) to leave in there for allowing access to some plumbing fixings at a later date.

If you have a link to building regulations type info on this stuff and can post it that would make you my hero for the day.

Sponsored Links
Reproduced from:
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/chases.htm
Simple rules are:

•Vertical chases should not be any deeper than one third of the total wall thickness.
•In a cavity wall, vertical chases should be no deeper than one third of the thickness of the skin they are being placed in.
•No chases, horizontal or vertical, should be made back to back.
•Horizontal chases should be no deeper than one sixth of the thickness of the wall thickness
•In a cavity wall horizontal chases should be no deeper than one sixth of the thickness of the skin they are in.,
•Chases must go from a to b in a straight line and diagonal chases should not be used
Common sense really. If the chase is too deep it will impair the stability of the wall. If chases are back to back, there is no wall! It must always be remembered that the person doing the electrical work may not be the same person who wants to hang a picture on that wall or put a serving hatch or window in it. All chases therefore should be sensibly placed to give everyone a chance of working out where they are in relation to lights, switches, sockets and appliance points.

Thanks pal and I had read that site, still I was wondering if it was possible to be a little bit naughty on occasion and remove more than is sensible (without going crazy) if you had a product like the one you recommended I call (and I will) in this post of yours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back