How much should I budget for re-wire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're just about to move into a new 4/5 bed house and have found out that it is likey it will need a full rewire.

There are currently 5 bedrooms, but this will drop to 4 as we are merging two of them. 2 bathrooms. 2 kitchens (Wifes mum moving in) lounge, dining room and utility room (oh - and garage).

The fusebox is the old push in style which obviously needs replacing and I think all the lighting will need a rewire too as I believer it has not earthing.

There would need to be 2 x cooker sockets (45amp?) for the two kitchens and a rerun of power to the new boiler.

In all I think we are talking about 3 double sockets per room (excluding bathrooms - which will need single shaver points) so think of 8 rooms and something for the garage (another 3 perhaps) - then lighting for each room with some additional downlighters being wired and installed in areas like the hall, kitchen and dining room.

We are also having a conservatory built, so a couple of doubles out there as well as lighting - plus a couple of external lights for the garden.

I realise this is a lot to ask without seing the property (its a 50's bungalow with additional rooms in the roof), but if you could give me an idea of the cost it would help a lot.

We move in Monday week and will try to get sparks in to quote ASAP, but I'd like to know in advance what I should expect.

Many Thanks

=================================

Please see forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
dont expect much change from £5000, if any.

It will be cheaper if the house isn't occupied.

I think £5k is a bit steep but crafty took into account the buggering about factor of it being occupied, store your furniture and stay in a b&b for a week may bring it down to £3500

Sponsored Links
Indeed - very South :)

Should I therefore add some huge figure to the costs? ;)

Although I'll be in the place, all the furniture/flooring etc will be moved and access given to any areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back