How much should I expect to pay a good brick layer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How much should I expect to pay a daily rate for a skilled brick layer in the Hertfordshire / Watford area? How do I distinguish between a good quality skilled brick layer compared with someone who claims to be one? Is there like a verified listing or association?

Also can a bricklayer also do stone work?

Sponsored Links
Ask to see their work, anyone any good will be happy to let you see it.
How much we think it cost is irrelevant, you have to get quotes and compare.
What do you mean by stonework?

That goes without saying that I will check and want to see their work. But as someone who does not work in that field, it would be hard for me to spot any mediocre quality v high quality.

Also price is completely relevant. I wouldn't necessarily want to pay someone £500 per day when the going rate is £100 but maybe £130 for a very good tradesman.

as an unskilled person, I look for evenness in the mortar joint, neatly struck off, all courses looking to the unskilled eye to be perfectly horizontal and equally spaced, and vertical joints running upwards, not weaving about from course to course. Also look for where cut bricks have been used to adjust the length, they should not be obvious and should not be close to corners or to openings such as windows and doorways. Ideally they should be in the middle of the wall or under the centre of a window, though that is not common now.

Sponsored Links
That goes without saying that I will check and want to see their work. But as someone who does not work in that field, it would be hard for me to spot any mediocre quality v high quality.

Also price is completely relevant. I wouldn't necessarily want to pay someone £500 per day when the going rate is £100 but maybe £130 for a very good tradesman.

A decent bricklayer will cost around £200 p/day + labourer @ £85, that's what I pay in Cheshire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back