how many bricks and block per day

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just got planning permission to build large extension at the back of my house. it is tow story 6.5 by 7.5 meters. I would like to manage the project myself and need help with the below please:-
  1. how many bricks (on average) brick layer can do per day
  2. do the work on their own or with laborer. for example if the d0 500 a day does this mean I calculate £150 (day rate) for every 500 bricks or I had to add the cost of his laborer
  3. how many blocks (on average) brick layer can do per day
  4. what is the average cost per meter square for the extension completed.

Sponsored Links
A bricklayer I knew had two modes of working depending on how he was being paid.

If paid at so much per 100 bricks laid then he worked fast and brickwork was not the neatest.

If paid a fixed sum for the contract to be completed in an agreed time then the bricks could be laid with more care and attention to detail and neatness.

He did the brick work for a petrol station for the petrol company and for the ajacent diner for the restuarant chain. Although the same brick and to the same architectural style one was far neater than the other due to the difference in the way he was paid.

I can remember when a lot of us were on the cards, and then when there was a big swing towards using subbies for all the trades.
It did make quite a difference to the attitude and quality of the workmanship.

Hi

Is this a big long straight wall like Hadrian's, or is it round and have lots of windows like The Gherkin?

Are you levelling the ground or will the brickies need coil springs on their soles?

Where are the bricks, in the garden or at the end of the street?

Are you buying the cheap lumpy sand that only sticks to the floor or nice building sand?

Sponsored Links
Do you know a brickie you trust? Probably not by the sound of it..... this is where good builders come from, they have the contacts to get the job done competently and on time. If you get the right people and can PM it yourself you can save a lot of money, if you get the wrong people then the whole thing can turn into a very expensive nightmare very quickly. Have you had full plans prepared or are you just going to stick a building notice in and rely on the workers to build the thing properly?

For guidance, my garage (similar size to your extension but single pitch so 3800 to 4500, yours will be a bit higher) took 2 brickies and 1 labourer (me doing the mix and stacking blocks for them where they needed them) 5 days from foundations to roof- that was single skin blocks so probably 10 days for your project if it is straight lines. 2 plus 1 worked quite well- I had enough time to mix and stack blocks so they were hard at it for the whole day. Again on your scheme not much point having more than 2 brickies, there's a finite limit to how many courses can be laid in a shift without the thing slumping (4 block, think its 6 brick). You need to think about access (scaffold) as well- if they do a metre a day you'll need extra lifts as the days go by, that's down to you to organise. Any windows or doors to worry about?

Ballpark for extensions currently seems to be £2000/sq m finished (that's floor area so your project could be around £200k finished).

Good luck........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back