How many bricks a day?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many bricks can an average brick layer lay in a day with a flemish bond?
Have a wall with large pillars approx 11000 bricks, bit beyond my capabilities!
It would take me About 9 weeks on my own! Need it done a bit quicker than that.

Sponsored Links
I would imagine it would take a 2&1 a couple of weeks to get through that lot!

Questions need answering:

Readymix muck - yes/no?

Scaffold?

Forklift?

Type of pointed finish?

Any specials i.e. tile crease, Staffy blue headers etc?

Nice and neatly or like a pigs ear?

God, I used to hate the "How many bricks can you lay" question. And worse still, when someone would pipe up "Huh, I can lay a 1000 a day easy"

Sponsored Links
The wall consists of four large pillars 1000 bricks each plus caps. The remainder in a straight run with copings. No special pointing. Just point in as you go. Its approx 20 courses high above ground.

Nose can drop the footings in and get the corners up and do the stuff below knee height, I'll do the hard bit up to chest height, and Stuart can stretch for the top bit and copings :cool:

It depends on the others :rolleyes:

Anyway, if the ground is level, access no problem, bricks nice to lay and all being well, you should be looking at about 5-600 a day per brickie all in, piers and all

It depends on the others :rolleyes:

all being well, you should be looking at about 5-600 a day per brickie all in, piers and all

At last a voice of reason. Other than on gable ends or industrial units, I've never seen 1000 a day that I would be happy to pay for on my own house.

Us brickies are our own worst enemy when it comes to the perenial question of how many a day. I mean, how long is a piece of string :evil:

All that bragging does, is increase client expectations and make us work ourselves into an early grave to 'prove a point', come on, be honest how many old brickies do you see wandering about :(

Sorry OP, not having a go, but like Woody said, it's a pain of a question. Not many other jobs where you are 'rated' purely on output regardless of quality!

I get your point Ian. I have had a few brickies work for me. Most claim around 500 per day. The only thing was i never saw them lay 500 per day. I know a lot of time the second hand london stocks, and real ****ty bricks to lay. For The job i have had come in i was going to source some good brickies as i want a good finish and just wanted to know an average.
Its the same principle with plasterers "yeah mate i can lay on 100sqm a day!!"
Then two days to sand and fill it!
Do you know any good brickies in london? ;)

[Us brickies are our own worst enemy when it comes to the perenial question of how many a day. I mean, how long is a piece of string :evil:
Ian - I`d love to see you in a long coat , standing on one leg and trowel in hand :mrgreen: Or am I being Thick as a brick and Living in the past

We used to reckon 1000 a day bog standard commons in stretcher bond on flat ground or 500 a day facings. That,s assuming that the cry of "muckup" was immediately obeyed.

[/quote] Ian - I`d love to see you in a long coat , standing on one leg and trowel in hand :mrgreen: Or am I being Thick as a brick and Living in the past[/quote]

I am afraid that current H & S legislation preclude me from standing on one leg at work these days Nige.....

p.s. If I had a trowel in my hand where would I stick my flute? Whoa, tread carefully there......

We used to reckon 1000 a day bog standard commons in stretcher bond on flat ground or 500 a day facings. That,s assuming that the cry of "muckup" was immediately obeyed.

This is interesting, I can only assume that these numbers are coming from real bricklayers. The ones in the pub seem to be able to lay much more lol!

I agree though. I am more than happy to get through 4-500 a day on good work, in an around windows, doors and the odd oversail course. I would be asking for an extra after work shandy on the 'gable end' days, bumping down 7-800 a day! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back