Brick work cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have rather large two story extension to build (7.3x6.6m) at the back of my house. Also the project involves a detached garage (4.6x6.6m) and porch (2.5x4.2m). due to financial constrains I divided the work into 3 phases and would like to manage the project myself

Phase one, ground work and foundation;
this include the following: -

· preparing the ground

· dig out the footings

· concrete the footing

· build the first few rows up to 150mm above the ground

Phase two brick laying work; this include only the brick and block work
Phase 3 Roof

Ant idea how much is the cost for phases one?

Most brick layers I spoke to so far (whom I arranged to meet on site within the next few weeks) claimed they can lay between 600 to 900 bricks a day and a ballet of thermolite block (128 block per day). That depends on the run, access of the sites etc. However if we take the lowest rate (600 brick per day), does this mean the price of laying 600 brick is £250. £250 include the daily rate for brick layer (£150) and daily rate of one laborer (£100). if this is correct then I can easily calculate the brick work cost from calculating the number of bricks I need. this will enable me to consider any reasonable quote

Any thought, help, suggestion would be highly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Lol, I'm building presently a 7.7m x 7m two storey (block) extension, a 6m x 6m double (brick) garage and a small oak storm porch.

The building work and groundwork is coming in at about £110k - £115k. This does not include windows, plumbing or electrics.

would like to manage the project myself
Oh lordy.

does this mean the price of laying 600 brick is £250.
Not necessarily no. Most brickies will expect a raft of concessions from the gaffer in order to gain their premium laying rate. You will be responsible for things like a fork-lift, decent and a ready supply of ready-mix muck, decent bricks, decent weather, scaffold in the right place etc.

You will have your work cut out to maximise and manage such a project. I ran both the garage and the main building concurrently so that I could maximise men and machinery at all times.

Get a single price for all the walls. The bricklayer can just work it out based on how many days it will take him. Then he is incentivised not to hang around.

Never pay day rate for work than can be priced, nor for more than a few days and certainly not for tradespeople who you don't know and don't know if you can trust.

Sponsored Links
Lol, I'm building presently a 7.7m x 7m two storey (block) extension, a 6m x 6m double (brick) garage and a small oak storm porch.

The building work and groundwork is coming in at about £110k - £115k. This does not include windows, plumbing or electrics.

1. is the £110-115 for material only or labour & material?
  2. have you done the work yourself? or hired a bricklayer
  3. does the cost include the roof?
  4. what is the cost of your small oak?

if we calculate your total living area ((7.7*7)2+(6 *6)) =144 Sqm,
110,000/144= £763 per Sqm (shell only)

if my calculations are right and your cost includes labour and martials then the cost of 1 Sqm is £763, …. correct? if that is the case, then this is another way to estimate the work.

There are so many variables that you’re never got to get an accurate estimate like that. If you want to calculate that way, just say £1k to £1.3k per sq m.

Assuming you have detailed drawings and planning permission, you just need to get companies out to start quoting for the work you want done. You’ll then get an idea for what it’ll cost in your location on your plot to do the work.

I’ve recently started our extension project. Had builders quoting between £65k and 100k for a shell on a 11 x 5.5m double story extension. I was tempted by the low quote but he wanted £20k up front for the groundworks, so that was a no.

In the end I arranged demolition of the existing building (via mybuilder.com!)and the got several quotes directly from piling contractors. Those elements have cost me £12.5k to date in my case...but we did have a nightmare slab to remove and piled foundations which don’t come cheap.

well I am not far, if we take your upper limit (1.3K) per Sqm only shell for two story. this means £650 per Sqm?

I'm not sure how you're doing your maths to get to £650. My suggestion was that you should budget £1,000 to £1,300 per sq metre.

If you're in London/South East then probably multiply that by 1.5

Best not work out the cost of brick walls (which are vertical) based on a horizontal m2 rate that includes every single other trade and material within that m2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back