How much to charge...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been contacted by a gent from London who purchased a property locally on a new estate. He has now decided not to move up here for health and other reasons.

I am meeting with him tomorrow, he wants me to keep an eye on the property until he can sell it.

Wants weekly visits to do visual inspections check heating is working and cut grass.

The property is only about two minutes in the van away from where I live so could visit once a week when passing.

I have no idea what to charge for such a service, any suggestions.

That said, I am thinking of recommending that he has power and gas isolated, water turned off and heating system drained down.

Sponsored Links
Depending on the area and risk, I would think it prudent to keep the property alarmed, which means you'll need the power on.

Agree with SNM.

Leave power on the B/A will be activated.

Leave the C/Heating on at frost protect level just in case we have an icy blast, not usual at this time of year.

Have you considered informing the local Police Office about un-occupancy, the crime prevention officer in the area will take a note, but what happens after that is anyone's guess.

Is it possible to inform the adjacent neighbours as well as the ones living opposite of the un-occupancy? after all they have a vested interest in keeping the locality safe.

Suggest you ask your employer if he has told his Insurer that the property is not occupied but he has engaged your services, they may have some input as to what they want so the property remains "On cover"

Different insurers have differing criteria as to what precautions they want to have in place to ensure cover is maintained, there is a general rule that a property will loose some insurance cover if un-occupied for in some policies 30 days, in other policies 60 days, all down to which insurance company your employer is insured with.

Sponsored Links
I had a probate property 120miles from me which was empty until sale and I got a local security firm to do weekly visits ie walk round with key. A weekly check was a requerement of the insurance. Cost was approx £8 a week.

Back