How much value (ish) would a 3rd bedroom add?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

This is my first post on the forum, so please be gentle :)

I've a modest 3-bed house, worth about £120k in the midlands. I'm currently planning to re-arranging the bedroom partitions because the smallest bedroom is miniscule to the point of being silly.

I have to choose between:
1. splitting the large bedroom in two - to end up with two small-ish bedrooms (double beds at a push) and one reasonable master, or
2. Having two largish bedrooms and so making it a 2-bed house.

No.1 would obviously be a bit better when it came to sell but I'd need building approval and a new window opening etc so it would also cost more time and effort to do in the first place. So i'm trying to decide if its worth it. Very roughly, I wondered what sort of value people think I'd lose by having a 2-bed instead of 3-bed?

Thanks
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Value wise probably very little, but as a selling point you could lose out.

Location is everything, so market forces dictate prices in a certain area.

A three bed semi, in a desirable location, with a decent school catchment would be an ideal home for a young average family. You would have little bother selling a house like this even if you turned it into a two bed.

I guess potentially you could lose the amount it would take to convert it back to original.

Thanks for that noseall, I guess its sort of what I was thinking/hoping too.

I'll probably plan for 3 beds because of the selling point thing - thanks for that point, the market is a bit slow after all.

But then if there were building/planning or other unforseen issues that started making it tricky it sounds like the 2 bed approach wouldn't be terrible as a fall-back option - and so I wouldn't become trapped into following the plan at whatever cost

Cheers,
Kevin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back