How much window reveal can be insulated?

That will look odd! If I was desperately bothered I'd hack off a bit of brickwork either side (lintel bearing withstanding) - a bit of messy work with chain drilling and chisel but surely a better result.

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard adhesive foam seems to have some insulation properties. I've done some reveals like this and they felt warm to the touch over the last winter.

I'd try and keep away from the bead, at least use 9.5mm board and some thinner insulation.

That will look odd! If I was desperately bothered I'd hack off a bit of brickwork either side (lintel bearing withstanding) - a bit of messy work with chain drilling and chisel but surely a better result.

Agreed, I took the high spots off mine with a cup grinder and dust extraction. I wouldn't want to lose the frame in the wall, odd!

I've done mine to just before the beading starts, around 20/25mm from window pane.
They look good, I wouldn't want to see 50mm of PVCU.
To keep things symmetrical, I used different sized plasterboards to make up any difference, namely 9.5 and 12.5.

Sponsored Links
It's ordered. To clarify, in the pic is 25mm insulation and 9.5mm plasterboard, so 34.5mm total. So those thermaline scholar boards will be no good.

I think I had this dilemma in another room and ended up just spraying the dryfix foam on thick ... will leave the top as it is (did like this in new bathroom window it it looks OK) but replace the sides with 10mm insulation, giving an extra 15mm minus skim and adhesive.

It's ordered. To clarify, in the pic is 25mm insulation and 9.5mm plasterboard, so 34.5mm total. So those thermaline scholar boards will be no good.

I think I had this dilemma in another room and ended up just spraying the dryfix foam on thick ... will leave the top as it is (did like this in new bathroom window it it looks OK) but replace the sides with 10mm insulation, giving an extra 15mm minus skim and adhesive.
they’re thermaline. i was referring to fruitybum as scholar:LOL:.

New insulation arrived, and in one piece!

IMG_20200915_103205595_HDR.jpg

A bit wonky, but it'll have to do. The thin board gets push out by the foam, which i didn't expect, but once plastered and curtains up nobody will notice...
IMG_20200918_122311486_HDR.jpg

In your pic, perhaps you had the spirit level in the wrong place.

hahaha

as you said, once skimmed all good (y)

Can this board bit put in like this

IMG_20200918_132627398_HDR.jpg

Or should it be like this

IMG_20200918_132656524_HDR.jpg

If like that, them is this gap by the wall ok for a plasterer to fill?

IMG_20200918_132704418.jpg

Wondering what would be easiest, how big are those metal corner strips plasterers use?

Are you using angle beads, the last ones I bought from Wickes are around 20mm (From memory) I stapled them on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back